T h i r t y - N i n e

"You're sure his first name was Brett, Violet?" Todd inquired in his usual nonchalant tone, staring at his computer screen with a puzzled expression 

"I'm positive," she replied. Her voice was incredibly hoarse from crying. She had to speak as loud as she could just so the boys could hear her. "Why?"

"I'm unable to find any record of an officer by that name."

"Huh?"

Larry, Sal, and Violet all moved to look over Todd's shoulders, skimming the list of names on his computer screen. Sure enough, Brett's name and picture was nowhere to be seen, nor was Deb's. 

"We saw him with our own eyes, man," Larry insisted.

"I believe you. This isn't the first time this has happened. Do you remember Mrs. Sanderson's murder?"

"Shit, those cops disappeared too?"

"Yes."

"Hold on," Violet interjected. "You mean that there's no trace of my mom's case or anyone involved?"

"That is correct."

"The cops weren't going to help anyway. I don't think this changes anything," Sal reasoned.

Larry nodded. "I second that, little dude."

She looked at each of the boys, her expression shifting into one that none of them could quite read. "They're hiding something. They weren't too busy for me, they just didn't want me on their trail."

"That's not an unreasonable conclusion," Todd said. "We'll need to develop a plan to uncover what exactly it is that they're hiding."

"I-I don't even know where to start..."

The red-haired boy's eyes flitted over to where Sal was standing. Judging by the purposeful look on his face, he already had one in mind. Sal, on the other hand, stared back at him with confusion. 

"You still have the Super Gear Boy, right?"

"Uh, yeah, it's in my room. Why?"

"We have eyes on the other side. Perhaps they could be of some help."

Violet turned to Sal with a frown. "Other side?"

"Guys, I can't—"

Larry stopped him before he could continue by placing a hand on his shoulder. "Dude, you gotta take her. This could be her only hope."

"What are you guys talking about?"

There was a long, agonizing silence as a massive battle broke out in Sal's head. He vowed to never involve Violet in anything cult-related or paranormal just weeks after she moved in. For all this time, he did well to keep the secret from her. Alas, Larry and Todd were right. The spirits he'd befriended throughout the building may be their only shot at finding her mother. He had no right keeping her away from it. 

"Alright," he breathed. "You guys keep researching. The less of us that go, the better." 

He gestured for Violet to follow him toward the door, which she eagerly did. A flood of questions had already rushed into her mind. She had no idea where Sal was taking her or what this "other side" the boys referred to entailed. What she did know, however, was that it could help her find her mother. She was prepared to do whatever it took.

"Sally, what is going on?" She questioned the blue-haired boy once the two stepped out of Todd's apartment. "Where are we going?"

He sighed. "Listen, Vi, I'm not gonna give you more information than you can handle right now. Long story short, I've been communicating with the ghosts that are trapped in the building since before you even moved in. They could have information we need."