14 - Dreams of Yesterday

A/N Wow it has been a while since I've updated. The reason is this chapter. Let me tell you, I have been stuck on this chapter for a while, not because it's long but because it gave me writer's block. So, I've decided to just upload it and then I can actually continue writing this story. It's not perfect at all but I can't believe it's finally done. 

Tedros

Sparring with Hort may have been a good idea at the time but it now causes sleep to evade me. The storm isn't helping; its thundering tears have relentlessly pounded the windows and any attempt of rest would be futile.

In truth, sleep would evade me regardless, for my mind is preoccupied with the Storian. Ever since Agatha told me that a new story had begun, I've been relieved that at least she won't worry but it hasn't stopped mine.

Why has it decided to tell the story of a Reader? It's taught as soon as you start school that only students have a fairy tale written. Even when it comes to the Readers, they only get a story if they are chosen to become a student. I've tried to find an example of this happening before but there is nothing. It makes no sense that this could be happening.

In times like this, I would do anything to talk to Merlin. He would know what the answer is and help guide me on the right course of action. Now, there's no one for me to ask and confide in, especially in a matter I want to keep private from Agatha.

"Tedros, what are you still doing up?" I turn to see Hort jog up the corridor to meet me.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I got a little side-tracked," he admits as we continue to walk through the winding corridors. I'm not sure of our intended destination but I hope that the mindless walk will provide a useful distraction.

"Same," I smile, "do you want to talk?"

"Talk?" Hort asked, surprised at the suggestion.

"I mean wedding planning has probably made you stressed and Agatha always tells me the best thing to do is talk about stuff."

"I suppose wedding stuff has been playing on my mind," Hort mutters.

I fling my arm around his shoulders. "Then I know the perfect place to go." Hort tries to fight back but luckily, I still have strength on him. I guide him to the other side of the castle to the one place I know nobody will be.

"Your throne room?" Hort asks sceptically.

I laugh, understanding that it's certainly an unexpected choice. "It's the one place where I know we won't be disturbed." Hort's face lights up in understanding as he marvels at the room. Although it is extremely familiar, the room looks different as the moon paints everything in silver. It looks more haunting, and I half expect a spectre to appear from the shadows.

"So, wedding planning has got you stressed," I state, my hands trying to find a place to perch.

"I guess it has even though I didn't realise," Hort mutters while he also tries to work out what to do with his hands.

"Sophie can be a little much at times," I joke, trying to ease the tension. At first, I'm concerned that I've crossed a line but thankfully Hort smiles. I realise that now is my chance to help and say, "we should have known how the wedding would look after she redecorated the School Master's tower. It is a miracle that it stayed for as long as it did."

"Not without opposition," Hort adds, a wistful look on his face. "Back then it didn't matter that I knew that Sophie was using my feelings for her. As long as I was with her it was okay. Now that we're getting married, it feels different." I stare at him blankly, with no idea what to say. Agatha would be perfect in this situation. The fact that I've only known Hort for a relatively short amount of time is also a hindrance. Of course, I had known of Hort for many years but not as a sort of friend. Or, after he's married Sophie, a brother.

"Did you not ever feel that way with Agatha?"

"It's different between Agatha and me, the Storian told our story. As soon as that pen started to write, she became my Queen."

"So, you've never truly had second thoughts about her?" I should get angry at Hort. How dare he question that my love for Agatha is untrue. And yet I couldn't get angry because he was speaking the truth. Of course, there had been times when I wondered if Agatha was truly the one for me and for good reason. She is nothing like the Queen that I had imagined since I was young.

I sighed as I clasped a hand on Hort's shoulder. "Even despite my doubts I knew that Agatha was the one for me."

"How?" Hort looked up at me, his eyes filled with admiration.

"Because we have true love." I can see that this is not the answer that Hort wants but truly, how can a Never understand? They don't get true love, or at least that's what has been told throughout my life. "But I can see it's the same for you and Sophie."

Hort's face lights up once more. "Do you really mean that?"

"Of course," I say, placing a guiding hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure after a night's sleep you'll realise that this was just a wobble." Hort nods his head, says his thanks and walks away, leaving me away in this ghostly room.

Even though he's left his question won't leave me. Is Agatha truly my Queen? I've asked this question before, and the answer has always been yes but surely it shouldn't pierce me as much as it does. The life of Queen isn't exactly what Agatha always had in mind, but I always thought she would adapt. But is she?

Truthfully, I have been too busy to spend time with her as I want to. Running a kingdom is more demanding than I realised, and I have to try and restore confidence in the 'King of Camelot'. At least the wedding has served as a distraction to us all. Once Sophie and Hort move away to their own space, perhaps Agatha and I can start afresh. We could find our place as rulers, not just based on my ancestors. Maybe that way I can stop that gnawing thought that I know will plague me until I get my answer once more.