Oscars Magic day

The power young children have, is nothing short of incredible. It's their ability to turn the normal in to the extraordinary, the physics defying, the magic, that's truly extraordinary.

But what happens when something magical, truly does happen. Something Oscar experienced, personally.

It was a beautiful spring day, and Oscar was outside with her mother. The Potatoes had to bake in the oven for the next hour. So after a lot of 'convincing', more commonly known as begging, The two were now in a park nearby.

Well more accurately at the pond, in the nearby park. But I digress, for that's not the important part. What was is Oscars current infatuation with the nearby caterpillars.

"-and your name should be" Oscar said dragging out the end, "I got it! Your name is Sunny! 'Cause your the brightest caterpillar here!"

She smiled brightly at the caterpillar, who was mindlessly wandering the palm of her hand, taking in their new surroundings.

She went on to name the remaining three caterpillars she had found. Before attempting to showcase them to her mother.

"Mom! Mom!" Oscar said calling her mother with a huge smile on her face, "Look at my new friends!"

Without looking up from her book, Oscars mother put on her motherly voice and said, "those are some cool new friends you got there, Oscar"

"But you didn't even look!" Oscar huffed

Her mother quickly stole a quick glance that Oscar didn't see and replied, "Yes I did, you have four caterpillars in your hands right?"

Oscars eyes widened. Before turning to her cater-friends and whispered, "You all saw that right? She didn't even look! Witch~"

Oscar continued to play with her new friends until suddenly the turn-timer Oscars mother had brought started ringing. Oscar made an obvious flinch, barely keeping track of the caterpillars in her hands, before turning around and saw her mother standing up and re- folding the chair she was sitting in.

"Mom?" Oscar hesitantly asked

"Yes sweetheart?" She responded

"Can we stay for like two more minutes?" Oscar asked before adding a drawn out, "pleeease?"

"No, you promised not to raise a fuss when the timer went off"

"I know but.."

"No buts young lady! You made a promise"

"Fine!"

With that Oscar huffed and spun her head back around and looked at the small creatures that were wiggling aimlessly on her hand.

"I'm so sorry guys but I guess I have to go. Moms orders, unfortunately"

She took one last glance at her friends, while her mother tapped her finger impatiently on her folding chair.

"Hurry or we won't finish supper before dad gets home" Oscars mom said.

"Oh yea! He gets home today doesn't he! I can't wait to see him. I'm gonna tell him all about today,"

"Sounds nice honey" Her mother replied, "Now put the caterpillars down so we can go"

"... okay"

Oscar turned sadly to the Caterpillars in her hand and just as she was about to put them down she watched in awe as they wiggled into a letter G.

She figured it was just something of luck and proceeded to extend her arm. Only for the caterpillars to reshape into a circle. Now she was curious. She slowly pulled back her arm in anticipation, and then watched intently as the caterpillars broke up then reformed a circle.

She figured they were done, so she began to shift her weight again to release the caterpillars when they broke up again and this time made the letter d.

"G, circle, circle, d" Oscar said softly to herself before it clicked, "Good!"

She watched as the caterpillars continued, the letters b,y, and e followed. Then the caterpillars squirmed and fell off her hand before sinking back into the ground.

"Goodbye!" She said to no one before turning to her mother, "Mother you won't believe it, the caterpillars I had spelt out goodbye! It was sooo cool"

Oscar had exaggerated her moves by waving her arms around as she rattled about how cool it was.

"I'm sure it was wonderful honey" her mother said, "now let's go"

"Okay"

Oscar would go back to that pond as often as she could for the rest of her life.

Never again did she witness a miracle. And was about to pass it off as a miracle when suddenly when she went alone in her mid fifties she watched as four caterpillars crawled up a nearby tree and spelt out "Hello Oscar".

Prompt:

Using the photos and captions from "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick" write a story bringing that photo and time to life.

This story was based off the Photo "Oscar and Alphonse"

Link to Photos: https://www.cpsk12.org/cms/lib/MO01909752/Centricity/Domain/5012/Harris%20Burdick%20Illustrations.pdf