two

THE RAIN OUTSIDE PLAYED A COMFORTING, COZY INTERLUDE TO THE SOFT CONVERSATION DREA HELD WITH ANNIE

THE RAIN OUTSIDE PLAYED A COMFORTING, COZY INTERLUDE TO THE SOFT CONVERSATION DREA HELD WITH ANNIE. Nothing pleased the young woman more than being with her best friend, her sister, and though the rainy morning District Four experienced wasn't ideal, Drea hardly cared. Rain meant no fishing, which wasn't good, but it also meant Drea had no reason to leave the house— which was always good. 

Ever since Annie's games, Drea and the younger girl lived together in one house in Victor's Village. Drea's house was just across the way, but it stayed empty for the most part. Whenever she was home, she lived with Annie and the two had their own little home. 

That particular day, Drea had woken up around noon to the savory smell of whatever it was Annie was cooking. The storm had lulled her deep into sleep for most of the night, so she was refreshed but still cozy the next morning, not eager to get into doing anything. 

After lunch, Drea and Annie caught up, which consisted of Drea sitting on the couch with Annie in front of her, deft hands weaving through Annie's dark hair as she prattled on about all the things that had happened since Drea saw her last. Braiding was half-instinctual for Drea at this point; Annie loved nothing more than having her hair in braided intricately by her best friend, especially after the instant hit that was Katniss' beautiful braid. 

The afternoon was spent that way, simple, sweet conversation— until a gentle knock rapped on the doorframe. 

Annie frowned and paused mid sentence. "Who's here?" 

"I'm not sure," Drea answered, rising from the couch. She shrugged. "Could be Mags..."   

Drea opened the door and her smile instantly fell upon seeing Finnick Odair on her doorstep. He grinned. "Don't look so happy to see me, Drea, or I'll start to think you like me," he said sarcastically. 

Drea rolled her eyes. Annie called from the couch: "Who is it?" 

"It's just Finnick," Drea called back. She held onto the door and peered at Finnick again. "What do you want?" 

Finnick's hand dipped into his pocket and pulled something from it— a shiny silver and purple hair pin. Drea's hair pin. 

"You left this on the train," he said innocently. 

But Drea knew better. Finnick had nicked it, one of his old tricks— an excuse for him to seek her out and for them to speak again. 

Before she could call him out, Annie appeared behind her, smiling. "Hello, Finnick!" she said jubilantly. "How are you?" 

Finnick smiled warmly at his old friend. "I'm great, Annie. How are you?"

"I'm well," she replied, nodding. "Drea and I were just catching up." She hugged Drea's side and rested her head on her shoulder. Drea patted her arm fondly. 

"It's good that Drea's looking to catch up with people," Finnick commented as casually as possible. "I was looking to take her for a walk to catch up myself."