four

THE DAY OF THE REAPING CAME AROUND QUICKER THAN ANY OF THEM REALIZED

THE DAY OF THE REAPING CAME AROUND QUICKER THAN ANY OF THEM REALIZED. It was ridiculously hot in District Four again, and humid, too, the salty sea air blanketing them all in the square.

Despite the impending doom that hung heavy in the air, Drea kept her head high, her expression stoic, and her hand held tight in Annie's. The dark haired woman trembled and clutched Drea's arm like it was a lifeline, her green eyes already filled with tears.

On Drea's other side stood Mags, her weathered hand slipped into Drea's other, the one not occupied by Annie. She'd had many stubborn conversations with Mags since the announcement of the Quarter Quell, and though she made the older woman swear she wouldn't volunteer if it was Drea's name that came from the bowl, Drea wasn't sure she'd actually follow through on that promise. She only hoped that she could beat Mags to the jump if Annie's name was called.

It was almost laughable, really. That was the point Drea had reached, thinking how ironic it was that they were fighting each other over which one of them would get to die.

To the right of Drea, Mags, and Annie stood the male victors from District Four. The wife of one of the younger victors could be heard wailing a few rows back.

The District Four escort was a new escort this year, and Drea didn't care to learn her name. She looked as ridiculous as the rest of the escorts from the Capitol always did, and waltzed around the stage with the usual nerve they all obtained, too.

Ladies first, as always.

The escort fumbled around in the bowl for a moment, trying to catch one of the three pieces of paper inside. When she finally did, she returned to the microphone and read it's content aloud. "Annie Cresta—"

"I volunteer as tribute." The words flew from Drea's mouth so quickly that it took the escort another long moment to realize what she said.

There was no applause like there might once have been for someone who volunteered. In fact, there was no sound other than Annie starting to sob, her shaky hands grasping for Drea even after the Peacekeepers began to drag her away.

Drea dug her shoes into the dirt, resisting long enough to turn and tell Annie, "I love you, Annie— I love you—" Before they yanked her up the stairs to take her place on the stage.

Annie continued to sob, though comforted by Mags the best she could be, as the escort called out the male tribute's name.

"Finnick Odair."

Drea closed her eyes, heart clenching. She didn't look at Finnick as he was brought to stand next to her; she didn't acknowledge him until he was close enough to touch, and when he was, they reached for the other's hand, instantly intertwining them at their sides.

The Peacekeepers wasted no time shoving Drea and Finnick into the Justice Building, and unlike the original games, there was no time for them to speak to their loved ones— and Drea had suspected such. With the amount of revolts going around the Districts lately, she was surprised they'd been allowed to gather in the square as they did.