CHAPTER 11

It was Saturday morning when I received a call from Mommy. I was still asleep and my eyes were almost closed when I answered his call, I just want to rest now. My body is tired. "I'm listening," I started. She already knows what I mean when I say that. I'll just let her talk because I'm listening.

"Anak, can you come here to Adrian's school? I have to go to the hospital but nobody is here with Adrian when I leave, I forgot to tell you that he is moving up today," she wasn't even in front of me but I could hear her voice. It's obvious from her voice that she can't calm down, she looks like she's worried, she really needs to go to the hospital she's talking about. "Anak, please? Just for now. Nathalie isn't available right now,"

My heart was sad because it was obvious from Mommy's voice that she was about to cry so I forced my eyes open. "You can leave but give Adrian your phone first and I will talk to him." It seems that Mom followed what I said because I heard Adrian's voice. "Ate's going there, wait for me. 'Wag kang lalayo r'yan, Adrian. Okay?" sumagot lang siya sa akin bago ko pinatay ang tawag.

Wala naman akong choice palagi but I have to stand up for my brother. Hindi na ako nag-almusal at diretso na ako sa bathroom para maligo. Binuksan ko ang damitan ko at kinuha 'yung tie-strap flare high slit slip midi dress. I parted my hair in the middle at the top before combing it on each side, kumuha ako ng hair tie at itinali ang buhok ko; that's not a pony tail, just a simple tie to keep my hair from getting messy. Naglagay ako ng light make-up, clean girl make-up. After that, sinuot ko 'yung sandals ko at umalis na. Mayroon pa naman akong time dahil maaga lang pumunta roon sina Mommy at Adrian dahil may inasikaso raw si Mommy roon.

I didn't get stuck in traffic because it was early and there weren't many cars on the road. The parking lot at Adrian's school is also spacious, mamaya rin naman mapupuno na ang parking lot dahil marami ng tao. Pagkapasok ko sa loob, nakita ko kaagad si Adrian na nakaupo malapit sa gate at mukhang may hinihintay. I called him so he saw me, his face lit up when he saw me. He was wearing his uniform. "Ate," Adrian said. I welcome his hug.

"You are leaving junior status now. Wow, you're going to be a senior na," I chuckled and rubbed his back. Hindi ko naman mahimas at magulo 'yung buhok niya dahil naka-gel na 'yon, sayang naman kung guguluhin ko pa. Ang gwapo ng kapatid ko. He didn't let go of the hug so my smile dropped a little. "I'm sorry... I know Mommy should be here with you, you know what her and Dad's job is. I don't even know if their work is more important than their child. Don't worry, baby. Ate's here, I'm here on your important day. Don't be sad na," ako na ang kumalas sa yakap.

"Thank you for always being there," Adrian said.

"Of course, you're my baby." I'm the ate. I gave him a very sweet smile. "By the way, have you eaten?" tumango si Adrian bilang pagsagot kaya inaya ko na siya papunta sa pavilion ng UST, doon gaganapin ang graduation or moving up nila. "Is it still necessary to be accompanied by a parent when going on stage?" I asked as we entered the quadricentennial pavilion.

"If you are with honors,"

I nodded. "Are you with honors?"

Tinignan niya ako na parang hinuhusgahan niya 'ko. "Of course, I'm Adrian Vienaiaz," he laughed softly when he said that and shook his head.

Yeah, he is.

"Should Mommy be with you on stage?" my voice weakened when I asked him that. I know he is sad but happy. This is one of the important events in his life, but Mommy or Dad is not even here. His smile also dropped a bit and he nodded again while looking at the stage. "Will I still join you on stage?"

"Gusto ko, Ate. Don't worry, you will know when it's my turn because my adviser will approach you," tumango lang ako. Tinuro niya sa akin kung saan ang seats ng mga guardians kaya umupo na 'ko roon. Pumunta na rin siya sa upuan nila, his friends are here na rin kaya may kausap na siya. I decided to text Nathalie and Kuya Ashton for Adrian. Kung wala ang parents namin, dapat nandito kami. "Nathalie, did you know that Adrian is moving up now? If yes, where are you?"