CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"I told you this was an overreaction," Dean complained from the driver's seat

"I told you this was an overreaction," Dean complained from the driver's seat. He flexed his hands against the wheel. "We look like stalkers out here."

Sam said nothing, but from the way he sighed and glanced at me in the rearview mirror, I gathered he wasn't happy about the situation either. I suspected he was only holding his tongue because he didn't want to upset me or Dean. I couldn't blame them. We'd been sat outside for hours. After we'd followed Lee home from the city and found out which suburban plot was his, we'd circled the block until dark. Under the cover of the night, we'd parked up across the street and kept eyes on the house.

I didn't know what I expected. Strangers coming to the door, maybe. Not that I'd have known them from Adam. I mean, it wasn't like I had a list of Lee's friends, neighbours, and adopted relatives. I was afraid that we'd jump someone thinking that they were a demon and would accidentally gank an octogenarian.

Just so long as we weren't faced with black smoke and blood spatter on the windows, I'd be satisfied that Lee was safe.

With any luck, he'd come around to the idea of the paranormal and seek us out before we had to leave him to fend for himself in Portland. It wasn't like we could just live outside of his house until Crowley died of old age. For one thing, we had other jobs to do and our lives to live. For another, demons tended to outlive the average human and monster.

Crowley was like a cockroach.

One day, he and those disgusting insects would be all that was left of the world.

"No one's forcing you to be here," I snapped. "If you want to go to the motel, that's fine. I'll stay here and make my own way back."

"We're not going back to the motel," Sam said. "It's just starting to look like Crowley isn't sending his goons in here to attack Lee."

"Oh, you think?" Dean asked. "And why would he? He's in a trap at Bobby's place. Besides, he knows where to find this guy. Why hasn't he just taken him already?"

"I don't know how a demon's brain works. He said that he needed to set up some things before he took me. Maybe it's the same for Lee."

"Yeah, well all I know is that I'm losin' beauty sleep on a maybe, and it's pissin' me off."

I sank into my seat and tilted my head back. I didn't want to admit that Dean was right, but we hadn't seen a single extraordinary thing while we'd been sitting in the car. All I knew for sure was that my arse had fallen asleep, and I was bored out of my skull. Castiel placed his hand over mine and, while I appreciated the gesture, I couldn't help but think he was of the same mind as Dean. The men seemed to share a bond beyond that of brothers. If it came down to making a decision about how to spend the rest of the night, I felt sure that Castiel would agree that we should leave Lee to his own devices.

"Maybe we should check in with Bobby," Sam suggested.

"You think he might be in danger?" I sat up in my seat, alarmed.