CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

I sat at the foot of the bed and stared at the television, wringing my hands and uttering pleas under my breath that it would come back on and show me my friends

The screaming from the bathroom had subsided. Without Lee awake, there was no one to inflict the torture on me. I had peace at last, but not my freedom.

A small point of light appeared on the screen. I didn't notice it until it widened and spread; the pixels reigniting as my body woke up from whatever Castiel had done to me. As it returned, so did Lee. The screaming began with renewed vigour, as if it was my fault all this had happened. That he'd been caught. I supposed it was, in a way. I mean, I was the one who'd formed a friendship with the hunters in the first place. I'd called out to Castiel. Lee should've known better than to confront the people who knew and loved me the most.

The television showed a room. A basement. It wasn't wholly unlike Bobby's but there were differences. If I had to guess, I'd have said that he'd given Ellen some design tips when it came to constructing the warded prison cell that my possessed body had been flung into. The camera panned down to the restraints on my wrists. They kept me fixed on an iron chair bolted to the floor. The hunters weren't taking any risks. Devil traps, salt circles, runes, and warding. They were prepared to lock down everything and anything that happened to intrude on the bar.

"Thanks for the nap."

The voice wasn't mine and it wasn't Lee's. It was a disturbing blend of both which echoed through the chamber. I trembled. This was beyond possession. It was like we were becoming one entity. The longer Lee stayed inside my body, the more blurred the lines between us became. If he continued to linger, there'd be nothing of me left for the Winchesters to save.

"What is it?" Sam asked Castiel with breathless awe and fear. "If not a demon...?"

"Shut up!" The creature snapped at anyone who was making noise. "Shut up, shut up!"

"Lee?" Bobby asked in horror.

"Who the hell is Lee?" Ellen still had her gun pointed toward the creature. The restraints weren't enough to convince her that they were safe.

"Her brother," Castiel explained. "Lee Sampson. He revealed that he was on Crowley's side the night she was taken. We thought they were working together with the demon, but –"

"But now it looks like the son of a bitch was acting alone after all." Dean grasped the creature by the throat. "And now he's just sitting in there like a damn tapeworm."

The creature wasn't intimidated. It'd killed far worse during its time on Earth. It rolled its shoulders and fixed Dean with a glare. "Do you know why I call myself Lee?"

"Do I look like I fricken' care?"

"It's short for Legion, you worthless amoeba."

"Legion?" Sam asked. "As in... For we are many?"