But what will one dead Entra achieve?

Oneera shines brilliantly from space, and the force field that protects them shimmers under the sun's rays. Photos I've seen of the planet haven't done it justice; this must be the most beautiful world I've ever seen.

Jaxa turns to me. "The Oneeran Queen has contacted us."

I stare a few moments longer at the planet and then nod. "I'm ready." Only, I'm not ready, I'll never be ready for this.

A holographic screen appears before me and the face of the royal casts a disapproving gaze upon me. She's not dressed in her finery like I imagined she would be, she wears a long red robe, and her hair is unbrushed. Was she sleeping? Was she woken in the middle of the night with news that we were here? Is she scared?

She says nothing, so I start.

"My name is Cantral," I say, "I would like a meeting with yourself to discuss how Oneera can be of service to the entra."

"Be of service to you—" Her nose scrunches in distaste.

"Your force field has an expiration date. My commanders want Oneera to be destroyed, and every day they come closer to finding that code. I do not want Oneera destroyed."

"Why? Don't tell me you care, entra do not care!"

"I do not care for you or your people," I say, my hands grip my armrests, "but the Universe has blessed you with a planet rich in resources, it has blessed you with technological advancement, I do not believe the Universe wants your Energy to be Renewed. I think we can work together... I think I can help you."

The Queen stares at me. "You may come to the planet," she says, hesitantly, "a lone shuttle and no weapons."

"Thank you, and if it is acceptable to you, I'd like to bring my second too."

The queen nods. "If you try anything, we won't hesitate to kill you."

"I know."

The screen goes blank, Ramet and I stand, we stride towards the lift. My stomach knots, a third set of footsteps join our beat, Jaxa.

"Why does Ramet look as if she's coming too?" Jaxa snarls.

"Ramet is coming to the surface with me, you're acting Captain whilst I'm gone." I turn and head into the lift and Jaxa slips in too. "What, Jaxa?" I say as the doors close on the three of us.

"Don't take Ramet, ever since she's come into your life, she's whittled you away... she's bad for you, why can't you see that?"

Ramet laughs. "Shut up Jaxa. Be a good entra and march yourself back to main command."

Jaxa swipes for Ramet and shoves her against the wall. The elevator clangs and the sound rings in my ears. Jaxa's arm presses into Ramet's neck and all I can do is watch. Ramet spits in Jaxa's face, a mucusy blob lands on her cheek but before she can react, Ramet rams her knee into Jaxa's crotch.

"Hey!" I shout. "If you continue, I'll go alone and when I return, I'll send you both back to Prime. Ramet's coming with me, she's proven herself more than enough and I don't trust anyone more than you to look after my ship and communicate with Haroc. Okay?"

The lift doors open into the docking bay, Ramet steps out and I do too.

"Remember what I said before the ceremony," Jaxa's fist punches the panel and doors slide closed.

"Hey." Ramet places her hand over my shoulder. "I think you found a couple of vertebrae."

The black walls of the docking bay surround us, the area feels claustrophobic today, more oppressive, as if the walls are closing in. We walk down the central walkway, casting echoes that proceed us. Ships, from striking Combat Cruisers to demure shuttles loom on either side and we stop before a shuttle.