Prologue

A princess does not expect kill her own father. "Today was supposed to be a happy day," Hinata murmured. "A day for a new future. But, I wasn't expecting this one."

"Hinata-hime!" a voice cried from behind her. "Are you okay?"

She slowly turned around. Her fiance stood there. He took in the sight of her sword, dripping with blood, cradled in her hands.

"Princess," Akira took a step back. He drew his own katana, a slim blade.

"You don't understand," Hinata quivered. Her hands trembled as she held the sword. "He..."

"Hinata," Akira murmured. "I know what the Shogun was planning to do. I also know you never loved me. But, I love you. Run. And never come back."

Hinata barely registered his words. Why? Why was he doing this? He would be killed. "I will not bring shame upon you," Hinata murmured. "I am prepared to face the consequences. My life is not worth the lives that will be lost if you take the blame."

"I may not be your husband, nor will I ever have your heart. But, I will not bring shame to the name of Murakami Hinata!" Akira said.

"Akira-sama..." Hinata murmured. "I have no way to thank you."

"Your wellbeing is enough. Now, run!" Akira shouted.

"One day, I will avenge your sacrifice." Hinata bowed her head, before turning and running, with nothing but the kimono she wore and the katana in her hands.