Chapter Four

Hinata heard a giggle as they approached the outer walls of the castle.

"Did you hear that?" Naomi asked.

Hinata nodded. "It sounds like a little girl. She might be lost- we should find her!"

"Are you crazy? Haven't you heard the legends?"

Hinata didn't hear her. Something was drawing her closer. She had to find it!

"Hina-chan!" Naomi followed, and caught up to the princess. "What are you doing?"

"It's calling me..."

"Snap out of it!"

Hinata broke free of Naomi's grasp and darted into an alley. The darkness engulfed them, the marks on the walls indistinguishable. Yet, Hinata could see the girl clearly. The strange girl could be no older than seven, and she was dressed in a beautiful kimono with cherry blossoms. It was the same dress Hinata had worn to the banquet, albeit smaller.

"Sakura-chan is pleased to meet you," the girl smiled. "Sakura-chan needs to tell you something."

"What are you doing out here? Where are your parents?" Hinata asked.

"Sakura-chan's parents are no longer in this plane of existence."

"Sakura-san-"

"Sakura-chan! Sakura-chan is not Sakura-san," the girl corrected.

"Have we met before?" Hinata asked.

"Hinata!" Naomi darted in front of her. "This is no ordinary girl..."

"I know," Hinata murmured. "You are a kitsune, aren't you?"

"Sakura-chan hasn't met you before, but Sakura-chan knows Hina-chan's friend. Right, Nao-chan?"

"You can't be... Hinata-hime, get away!"

"Why, Nao-chan?" The girl- Sakura- asked.

Naomi tugged on Hinata's dress, her eyes glistening with tears. "This is a trap! Kitsune try to trick people..."

"Sakura-chan just wants to help Hinata-chan," Sakura smiled. "As much fun as it would be to play with the foreign guests, I..."

The girl's body began to glow, shifting in form. Hinata found herself frozen to the ground as she watched Sakura transform into her true form: a fox. Her- no, its- nine tails waved in the light breeze.

"I have decided to make amends with my past and help you, Hinata-hime." The kitsune's voice was no longer playful, nor did it refer to itself in the third person like many children did.

"There has never been a legend of a kitsune who did not lie," Hinata responded. "Yet, I want to trust you."

"You should never trust a fox. If we work together, our relationship will not be based on faith. I will make up a contract."

"A contract? What tricks are you planning?" Naomi hissed.

"Let it speak," Hinata said to her best friend.

"I will help you fight the foreigners. In exchange... You must kill the Shogun."

"My... my father?" Hinata breathed. "He is my guardian! I cannot... I cannot do that!"

"Even if you knew he killed your mother?"

"You lying kitsune! Get away from us!" Hinata shouted.

"It... It is telling the truth."

"Naomi?" Hinata turned and faced her.

"Leave, kitsune," Naomi murmured.

"It appears you two need to discuss some things. Very well, I shall take my leave." With a glow of light, the fox spirit vanished.

"I... Murakami-hime! Please forgive me!" Naomi dropped to her knees. Her tears were silent, but they poured down her pale cheeks.

"Naomi..," Hinata said.

"I knew... I knew but I never told anyone!"

Hinata knelt down. Her hand grazed Naomi's cheek as she wiped away the tears. "You are not my servant. You are my friend. I will hold your hand. I will let you weep on my shoulder. Because that's what friends do."

Naomi looked up. "Hina-chan..."

"Never forget that." Hinata helped her friend to stand. "I do not need to know the rest. The time will come for that. Yet, the past is something we cannot change. And right now, I need my best friend to stand beside me. I have made my decision. Even if it means going against tradition... Even if it means going against my father... Because I cannot let you suffer any more, Nagasaki Naomi. Your given name comes from the characters for beautiful truth. And together, we will find the beauty in it."