Chapter Three

"The gaikoku haven't threatened us."

Hinata, Naomi and Zhou sat in Naomi's favorite ramen shop. The tiny establishment offered the perfect privacy for the three.

"Not yet," Zhou said. "As you know, Xiaonan was the only port opened to Westerners in all of Chun. I had a wife and a son. They lived in Xiaonan. When our government tried to cut off trade with the gaikoku..."

"They attacked," Hinata said. "I remember."

"When I returned from trading last summer, I found my homeland in ruins. My beloved Meijin, and our son Kaikuo... All dead. They came in, bombed the ports..."

"Bomb?" Hinata and Naomi repeated.

"It's a ball of fire they used," Zhou explained.

"Let us go talk to my father," Hinata said. "Surely, you can convince him-"

"I tried. He wouldn't listen. After the banquet, I consulted with Murakami-sama. Hinata, he said I must never come to the palace again. That is why I am coming to you, Princess."

"I have no power. I am a woman," Hinata shook her head. "I am to be married, and I must defer to my father."

"Must you? My beliefs say man and woman are equal. Are you really going to let yourself be a pawn in your own country's destruction?"

"It is not my choice. And even if I wanted to, how could I sway my father and the court?"

"You must lead the charge against the foreigners. Disguise your feminine features, if you must. Come join the fight."

Hinata looked down. "You put too much faith in me, Sensei. I cannot lead our people.

"Hina-chan!" Naomi interrupted. "You are too humble. You are smart. You are wise. And you can do this!"

"I was not born for that role."

"You are destined for greatness, just like your mother."

"I am not my mother. She is long dead."

"In three days from now, meet me in this same shop at the same time," Zhou said. "I will await your decision. Think it over."