Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I opened my eyes, feeling like all the air was gone out of my brain. Rubbing my eyes, I saw Hunter lying on the other bed, shivering. A bowl of hot soup was beside me, and I quickly indulged it.

Running over to Hunter, I took hold of his forehead. It was piping hot, with sweat running down like a river. Unraveling a strange cloth, I saw that his bite got infected, and was gushing blood.

What was this place? It looked more like a closet than the forest, or streets. A small fire was burning in the middle.

“You’re up,” he whispered, and attempted to get up. I gently pushed him back down.

“You have a fever. Rest, my love,” I whispered back, grabbing the blanket that covered me before, and wrapped it around him. That was when it began escalating.

I grabbed a spare bucket lying in this closet, and let him bend down. We need medical tools. Fast.

Running. I remember running out of the small closet space, out into the open, unprotected, armed with a pipe. That’s it. I scattered through the house, hearing moaning all over, praying that those zombies weren’t violent. Luckily, the only two that remained in the house where sleeping, and were easily killed.

I barricaded the house, blocking all windows, doors, tightly compacting so no casual zombie would burst in.

I went to the bathroom. Great. Medic Kits were scattered all over, along with a deceased man. The stench was so horrifying, I thought I may vomit myself. Grabbing all supplies, I rushed back to Hunter. I could only see his eyes, bewilded, sick, in need of help. Calling for me. Calling for someone to help us both.

I turned away. That look burned my mind, and was buried in there forever.

Hunter went under my hand, so that I may pet him. Okay. Back to reality. I began jogging up the main highway, in hope for some sign of life.

Rocketering past the abandoned cars, I saw a Smoker, just wandering around, minding his own business….. unless he’s holding something. A defibulator. Perfect.

Aiming my sub-machine gun, I lowered myself near the car, hoping to get a good aim. It saw me, and began slowly backing away. Unfortunately for him, a cloud of green and sparks followed his head, giving me an even better chance of killing it. I could feel Hunter’s claw on my shoulder.

“What?” I snared, keeping one eye on the cloud of smoke,” I’m getting a good aim!” He just shook his head, and bounced by the bushes.

After a couple of growls and screeches, Hunter comes out, ho9lding proudly in his mouth the defibulator. I embraced him, and shoved that thing in my backpack. No need to waste that.

Just out on the open road, something caught my neck and shoulders. It was sticky. The Smoker. It wants its defib-unit back.

“Hunter!” I wheezed, trying to release the Smoker’s sticky grasp, only to get my hands knotted.

With a swift pounce, Hunter cut the tongue like a thread with scissors.

Running off, I scolded like an old grandma ,”I knew we shulda killed it! We shuld’ve!”

After a couple of more hours jogging, I stopped to breathe. The sun was setting closer and closer, until it was just a small, golden thread on the horizon.

“We should find somewhere to camp.” Hunter followed, digging through the doors and garbage bags until he opened one, that lead to a café full of the infected. A boomer was sitting in the corner. Again, I crouched down, aiming for the belly.

After it exploded, I just realized that I hit the fire alarm. The high-pitched siren screeched across the ghostly roads, where the skyscrapers hustled and trees swayed.

The calling of a horse arised. IT was getting louder.

“Hunter!” I called, as he pounced next to be, “Can I ride?” He sighed, then waved his claw towards him, signaling to come.

Delighted, I hopped on his back, as he pounced away, across the streets of Philadelphia, hoping that we will get to New Jersey.