Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The sun shone into my eyes as light swam through the small, basement window. I rubbed my eyes, as time slowed down into one. The whole group was still asleep, curdled up in their blankets, eyes relieved to be asleep.

I tip-toed down the hall barefoot. The machete pulled me down like a rock, as I entered into the second bedroom. I moved the huge, oak drawer aside, and there layed what I had hidden from the rest. A katana, aka known as a “ninja sword”. I dropped my machete, and picked up the thin, metal beauty. I only dreamed of touching on of these, hand-crafted, slim, cold killers. I slipped it through the case on my back, and could feel the lightness of the katana compared to the machete. I stood up, and saw a small mob of casuals roaming the streets, fighting with each other, puking, dying, you know, what zombies do. The sun was up in the sky, and I could tell it was noon.

I tip-toed back, as someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around, only to see no one. Looking down, it was Hunter. I forgot that now he is a real Hunter, and that he is more crouched down and crawling than usual.

“Hey,” I said, as he pointed to the katana.

“I found it, its instead of the dull, heavy machete,” I whispered, and placed my finger to my lips. I continued going downstairs only to find Zoey already taking her shower, and Louis reading a book. I slithered into my covers, hoping no one noticed me, and place the holy sword down. Something cold went up my spine, and a dropped the sword with a loud cling.

“WHA?” Francis yelled, rocketing straight out of his covers, a pistol in his arm.

“Go back to sleep, you dimwit,” Nick snapped, then turned around again. Francis, dumbfound, returned to his spot. Then, some noise caught everyone’s attention.

It was a cry. Not a moan, but a cry.

“Is there someone in here?” I asked,” I barricaded all the doors!”

“Psshhhh!” Louis shushed,” It’s a Witch!” Then, came down who appeared to be a woman all white, with ripped up shorts, tank top, and her hands covering her face. She slowly came down, each step with a cry or moan. Her hair was tousled, and her claws nearly reached over her head, stained in blood. She sat down in a pretzel form on the second to last step, and continued crying. Hunter growled.

“What are we going to do?” I whispered, as Louis inched closer.

“She goes berserk if you make any loud noises or try to kill her. We need a silent killer…” Louis replied, then staring at Hunter. “Can he do it?”

“Hunter?” I asked, as his head whirled towards me. His eyes glistened under his hood, as if to show mercy to the woman, or Witch, or….whatever.

“We have to kill it,” Zoey whispered, and quietly sprinted across the room,” Or else we be trapped in here forever.” I looked at her. How can a woman kill another? Doesn’t she see the pain the poor Witch probably has gone through?

“No,” I protested.

“What the hell? If we don’t kill it, she’ll be probably disturbed by some rock outside, and kill US all,” Coach whispered, and he too, pressuring me as if the walls were closing in on me.

“No! We have Hunter pounce around her, one at a time, until we all make it through, if we are leaving,” I stated, and placed my arms around my chest like a child.

“Fine,” sighed Nick, and hoped on Hunter as if on a horse. Everyone once again formed a line, but I wanted to go last. Maybe there was some humanity left in this poor woman…?

Ellis pounced away with Hunter last. I stayed across the room.

“I’ll be there in a minute!” I whisper screamed. I crawled towards the sobbing Witch, her beginning to stop crying and looking up at me. Her sobs stopped for only a minute, then turned into low growls. Growls I could not hear past her face and clothes.

“It’s okay,” I said, placing one hand on her shoulder. She uncovered her face from her claws, her growls escalating. Her eyes glowed a faint red, and face was slightly tattered, covered in mud and dirt.

“I can help you,” I said, remaining eye contact with her. The growls.

“Come, do you want a shower?” I asked, slightly tugging on its arm. She shot up the stairs. Behind, I could see the group watching. My eyes widened as I began realizing that this was the real world. My ears tuned back, as I could hear her growls beginning to turn into screams. She lunged at me, clawing away at my face, arms, and torso.

“All I wanted was to help you!” I shrieked, yelping in pain as the claws opened up my veins and bruises. Two gun shots. Two. And the Witch dropped dead on the floor. I stared at the lifeless body, her facial expression. Sadden, yet full of rage. Rochelle helped me up, and began using the gauze from her health kit to patch up my open wounds. She followed what I did, sprinkling some vodka on the wounds. I didn’t even wince. I just kept on staring at the Witch.

“Man, Benevolence, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben,” Rochelle said,” You’ve got some loving boyfriend there to resist his natural instincts to kill humans and be with you, but, honey, not all infected are like that. I know you want to help, but there’s just nothing you can do. They all have a mission, and that mission is to kill.”

I nodded, but knew in my heart there should’ve been some humanity in the poor Witch. Or that they’re could’ve been.