- chapter 1 -

.

                                                                                                 . 

                                                                                                 .

                                                                                                 .

Ranpo's pov:

i sit with my legs propped up on my desk with a lollipop sticking out of my mouth. today, I should be receiving poe's new novel he has written for me. i sure hope its interesting, because I'm bored out of my mind. 

"hey ranpo?" yosano asks as she peeks at me from behind her computer screen.

"yeah" I reply.

she smiles. "are you waiting for poe to arrive with his new novel for you?"

I nod enthusiastically. I'm very excited. its always nice to see poe, with his messy hair and beloved pet raccoon karl. i open my eyes and look at the clock.

"he should be here soon." I mutter as I take my lollipop out of my mouth.

as soon as I said that, the door to the armed detective agency creeks open as a familiar face peeks in.

"R-ranpo?" a man stutters out with an anxious expression. 

"POE!" I shout, jumping up from where I sat as I fling my arms around the taller man's neck in a hug.

Poe staggers back a bit, who wasn't expecting such a greeting from me. Karl had managed to leap off of Poe's shoulders onto the floor before this happened. I gave Poe a big grin and asks, "is the novel ready?".

"Y-yes.." Poe stutters as he hands the novel over to me as i snatched it up and flipped to the first page. "I-i tried a d-different g-genre with t-this novel Ranpo.." he mumbles. 

"cool! what genre?" i ask. dazai turns to look at me.

Dazai's pov:

wow. I've never heard ranpo actually ask someone a question about themself. i cant wait to tell fukuzawa.. i bet he would be happy to hear this!

Poe's pov:

"r-romance mixed w-with a bit o-of m-mystery." I stutter. ranpo looks up at me with his eyes closed as usual. "I never knew you could write love stories poe!" he exclaims. "i-ive never wri-written one b-before.. this i-is my f-first time.." I respond quietly.

ranpo closes my novel after only reading a few pages. "simple. the maid was the one that tried to kill the mansion owner's lover." he said cheekily.

"t-thats correct.." I mumbled.

"I'm glad you tried a different genre Poe. but it.. lets say, wasn't the best example of that genre? most people who write good romance stories usually are or were in a relationship. its a good attempt for someone who has never been in a relationship." he says.

I'm a little upset. i know I've never been in a relationship before, but I wanted to try something new. doesn't he like it? what if he hated the entire novel? am I only good for writing mystery novels?

"poe, you cant write a love story well if you have never experienced love." he says with a small smile.

"w-what about karl? i-i l-love karl a-a lot.." I reply. "that's not romantic though. you love karl as a pet, a companion. that doesn't count. sorry poe." the smaller boy says, squinting his closed eyes.

"a-alright." I stutter.

"your attempt at making a novel with a bit of romance in it was a great attempt though! don't forget that alright?" he says with a big smile as he gives me a hug, his head just below mine. my face warms up as I look down with embarrassment. i hope nobody saw..

i look through my hair to see dazai looking at me with a cheeky smile. shoot.. he saw. he looks away, still smiling. ranpo finally lets go of me, but I wish he didn't. it felt nice to get a hug from him.

"w-well I've g-got to get g-going ranpo... i have to g-give karl his l-lunch.." I say shyly, as karl's eyes widen at the word 'lunch'. "awwwww so soon?" ranpo pouts his lips out like a child. he sighs and gives me one final quick hug. "thanks for the novel!" he says happily and lets go. i look down, my face probably bright red again. "b-bye", I stutter, shuffling towards the door.

657 words