- chapter 3 -

3rd person pov:

the smaller boy had somehow convinced poe to take him to a candy shop in the middle of the city. "y-you're sure you know where y-you're going r-right?" poe asks for the millionth time.

"of course I do! we gotta get to the train station first though!" ranpo says as he chucks a lollipop into his mouth.

poe shivers, the thought of a busy station and loud trains a little overwhelming for the him. 

Poe's pov:

what if karl gets lost? what if karl isn't allowed on the train? what if-

"poe! poe! i can see the station! do you see it? its just up ahead! lookKK!" ranpo points out like a child. honestly, it was adorable. i stop at that thought. a-adorable? where did that thought come from? have I thought he was adorable all this time? he is though...

a smile spreads across my face as i look at the smaller boy walking beside me, his hands behind his head as he looks ahead. he opens one eye to look at me. i quickly snap my head back, karl a little startled by the quick movement.

"i saw that poe..! i never see you smile that often! am i that special?"

yes ranpo, i know i don't smile that often. and yes, you are a very special person. you're one of my closest friends, even though the only other friend i have is karl.

"i-i just enjoy seeing you e-excited about s-something!" i reply shyly, giving him a small smile. "awwwwwww!" ranpo smirks at me.

as we approach the station, i hesitate. there's so many people. there's so much noise. there's so much going on.. i stand still, just outside the station.

"poe?" ranpo whispers, looking up at me with concern.

"...yes?" i reply, trying my best to make eye contact with him.

"are you alright?" ranpo grabs my hand. a sense of relief washes over me as i feel his small warm hand wrap around my cold one.

"f-fine!" i stutter out.

ranpo frowns. "if its too much for you poe, don't force yourself, alright? we can always go to another candy shop." he whispers and rubs my back in small circles.

"l-lets go in!" i attempt to say bravely.

ranpo gives me a big smile as he tugs my hand and we join the huge crowds.

- time skip :D -

we're finally seated on the train. ranpo was so confused, he had no idea how to work tickets and check which train was ours so i had to do all that. stressful, but it was all worth it to see him smile at me and chirp a 'thanks poe!'.

karl is sitting on my shoulders, obviously a little uncomfortable where he is as he jumps onto the empty seat next to me. even though the station was busy, this train wasn't too full. ranpo led me to the very last train carriage which didn't have anyone in it. to be honest, it was 6pm in the evening and people would be wanting to get back from the city, not go to the city.

karl begins to explore the empty carriage, the doors finally closing. the train jolts forward a little roughly, making me whimper in fright. ranpo squeezes my hand.

my face turns a deep shade of red, as i realize we're still holding hands.

as the train leaves the station, the view of the city rushes past the windows, the sun shining in from behind the 5 tall city buildings in the heart of Yokohama. the sky was painted in beautiful oranges and pinks, the ocean glistening a marvellous orange.

ranpo and i are both silent, staring ahead through the train windows to admire this beautiful view of Yokohama in another light. even karl was peeking out the window, who had climbed up a chair.

"poe.." ranpo whispers to me.

"yeah..?" i respond, as the smaller boy turns to look at me. "this view.. its marvellous."

for the first time, i noticed that both of ranpo's eyes were open and he wasn't wearing glasses. they looked so beautiful. a bright green, glistening like the ocean. they were full of wonder, as he sets my hand down on the chair and gives it a few pats.

my heart feels a fluffy. it feels so fluttery, my face heating up. to top it all off, the smaller boy rests his head on my shoulder. we are friends.. right? this is what friends do.. right? well i guess close friends..

i reach my hand out and remove the boy's hat. he smiles again, as i being to stroke his hair. it felt fluffy but smooth. it didn't feel spiky like i expected it to. what we are doing, this moment.. i want it to last forever. I've never felt more calm, more happier. it felt perfect. me and ranpo, one of my closest friends.. looking at Yokohama basked in a sunset in a train elevated above a glistening ocean.

ranpo's pov:

my heart is dancing. its swirling! not even candy could bring me this much joy. what im feeling right now...

poe runs his fingers through my hair slowly, he too looking almost as joyful as me. i want to hug him so bad. he's too adorable for his own sake! i close my eyes and smile.

all i can feel is his hand running through my hair. all i can hear is his steady breathing and the sound of the train on the tracks. this is all i could ever ask for. now i have to admit, yes. i.. i do like this big cute teddy bear. and i mean like like. i can be myself around him, i feel so content around him.

before i know it, my eyes grow heavy. as my mind begins to slow, i can feel myself drifting off to sleep, my head still resting on poe's shoulder. his hand was still running through my hair.

poe's pov:

before i knew it, the smaller boy had drifted off to sleep on my shoulder. i was smiling so much, i was still running my hand through his hair. i was no longer looking at the view. i was looking at ranpo.

his slow steady breaths, his soft smooth hair in my fingers. "is this what love feels like?" i whisper as to not wake the sleeping boy up. karl was snuggled up next to me as he lifted his head up and gave me a nod. i smile.

if this is love, then i absolutely love it. i want to feel this feeling forever. i pull ranpo in closer, hugging him gently. ranpo is still asleep, his chest rising and falling softly. i give him a soft peck on his forehead, looking out the window again. what i didn't notice though was the he smiled. he was probably awake.

ranpo's pov:

i was half asleep, but i swear. i felt a small peck on my forehead. my brain was running a little slow, but i could feel that i was rapped in someone's arms. when i realise this, my hald-asleep self smiles. i absolutely love this man.

1158 words