𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 , remembering you

CLAY GRINNED, HER HAND GRABBING Leo's as they stood at the bottom of the staircase that led to Emily Sinclair's House. She'd been a senior notoriously known for throwing the best parties and Clay and Leo had finally been invited after two and a half years of trying. Leo was utterly against this. He never had a desire to attend a party, especially in High School, despite Clay's numerous suggestions. And now, he'd been dragged to what would be his first real party, and he hated it already. He pulled his hand from hers and shook his head.

"No, Clay, I am not messing up my scholarship for a stupid party."

Clay rolled her eyes. "One, you're a junior. You have no scholarship. And two, you don't think lawyers party?"

Leo crossed his arms and didn't reply. He knew when he was beaten and this was one of those times.

Clay grabbed his hand again, her grin growing. "Come on," she said, tugging him forward. "It'll be fun. We can sneak some alcohol, hey, maybe make out under the stars with some guy—just like you always wanted."

Leo's face softened, a smirk playing at the corner of his lips. She always knew just what to say to persuade someone.

Clay pulled him up the stairs, her laughter echoing in the night. Leo followed, letting her lead him to what felt like a certain disaster.

When they got to the top of the stairs, Clay paused, letting go of Leo's hand and admiring the house. Emily's house was beautiful, tall, and white, with large windows and a wide porch. Clay's eyes sparkled as she took it all in.

Leo, however, had a different reaction. He felt a knot form in his stomach as he looked at the house. He had a feeling that whatever happened that night would change the course of his life.

Clay grabbed his hand again and grinned. "You'll be fine."

Leo nodded, not sure if he could believe her.

Clay led him around the side of the house, where they could hear the thumping music and the laughter of partygoers. Clay's eyes lit up as she looked at the scene before them.

Leo swallowed hard. He had never seen anything like it before, and he was suddenly filled with a mix of fear and excitement.

Clay turned to him and grinned. "Come on!" she said, pulling him towards the back door.

Leo followed her, his heart pounding in his chest. He had no idea what he was getting himself into, but he was certain it wouldn't be boring.

They slipped inside, pushing past the revelry until they found themselves in the kitchen. Clay grabbed two cups from the counter and handed one to Leo. He shook his head and reached for a soda from the fridge instead, resulting in Clay to roll her eyes.

"Whatever," she said, pouring herself a cup of punch.

Leo followed her as she made her way to the living room, where they immediately got caught up in the energy of the party. Clay grabbed Leo's hand and pulled him onto the dance floor, where they danced until their legs ached and their faces were flushed from the heat of the room.

AFTER A FEW SONGS, Clay and Leo made their way to the back porch, where they found an empty lounge chair and kicked back to relax. After a few moments of silence, Clay glanced over at Leo and grinned.

"So," she said, her voice full of mischief. "What do you think of Emily Sinclair's parties so far?"

"So far, so good," he huffed, smirking.

Clay laughed and leaned back in her chair, content to just sit and listen to the party around them. After a while, though, the music changed and Clay leaned forward, her eyes widening.

"Do you hear that?" she asked eagerly, beginning to walk toward the living room.

Leo followed her, not entirely sure what she was referencing to, but eager to find out. He followed her out to the dance floor, where they both started to dance, uninhibited and full of energy.

THE HAPPINESS THAT THE MEMORIES of her and Leo always had been followed by sadness. Today, she felt herself smile as she stared down at the Polaroids from that night. She had a vague remembrance of when these were taken at the parties, but there were almost a dozen of them.

Clearly, she was drunk in all of them, and Leo was trying to have the best time he could sober.

It made her laugh through the tears that spilled down her cheeks.

She'd been so tired of crying but it's all she could seem to do.

As though she was only capable of living in a world surrounded by memories of her once best friend.