🍁 Five : Ring On A Chain

RING ON A CHAIN

RING ON A CHAIN

March 21st, 1987

In Genevieve's favorite story, "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," a young girl named Goldilocks stumbled upon the home of three bears, leading to a series of misadventures.

Dressed in a beautiful pink dress and a matching bow headband, Genevieve enjoyed her breakfast before retreating to her favorite spot under a towering tree in the backyard. 

With a book in hand, she sought solace in the pages, her mind drifting away from the present.

However, her routine was disrupted by Evan's absence for the past three days. 

Genevieve's demeanor shifted, her usual chatter replaced by silence, her energy waning.

That evening, instead of losing herself in her storybook until late, Genevieve retired to bed unusually early, leaving her parents puzzled by her change in behavior.

The next morning, as she sat beneath the tree, a gentle breeze stirred her hair, and she felt a presence beside her. 

Turning, she was met with Evan's familiar face, his warm smile tugging at her heartstrings.

"Genevieve, I'm sorry for leaving you," Evan's voice was soft, filled with regret.

Genevieve's eyes welled with tears as she struggled to find her voice. "Why did you leave me, Evan?" she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Evan reached for her hand, his touch comforting. "I heard your parents talking. They want to find someone to help you, but you don't need fixing, Evie. You're perfect just the way you are."

Confusion clouded Genevieve's expression. "What do they want to fix?"

Evan's gaze softened. "They don't understand that you're special, Evie. They're worried about things they shouldn't be worried about."

Tears streamed down Genevieve's cheeks as she buried her face in Evan's shoulder. "I don't want them to take you away from me," she sobbed.

Evan held her close, his embrace a source of comfort. "I'll always be here for you, Evie. No matter what."

As Genevieve clung to Evan, seeking solace in his presence, her parents watched from a distance, their concern etched upon their faces. 

In their eyes, she appeared to embrace an invisible companion, a poignant reminder of her struggle with reality.

"I'm glad you can see me again, Evie," Evan whispered, his words a reassuring promise of unstoppable companionship.

"Evie? Evie."

The sound of Vincent's voice penetrated Genevieve's thoughts, gradually pulling her back to the present moment. She took a deep breath, feeling the weight of reality settling in.