01.

CHAPTER ONE.
Science Projects, Bad Ideas, and a Dog

— — —

It was decided. Akemi Kishimara would die at the hands of a school project.

The annual science project was famous at Nekoma Municipal High School, not only for its difficulty but also for the stress that it put on every student who had the unfortunate luck of being in their second year. Assigned at the beginning of the school year and due by the end of it, it was usually a year-long stressor for students, the sheer enormity of it looming over them for their entire second year of high school.

For Akemi Kishimara, it wasn't the size of the project nor the difficulty of it that was the issue. No, for her, the issue was the partner she'd been assigned at the beginning of the year.

Tetsurou Kuroo was an annoyance at best and a major pain in her ass at worst, and after the text exchange from last night involving many violent threats on her part and far too many laughing emojis on his, she was really worried about what kind of crime she would commit if she happened to cross paths with him this early in the morning, especially after the shift she was having currently.

"Other than the fact that it's six o'clock in the morning and you have to work, is everything okay with you? You seem grumpier than usual."

As one of her best friends since middle school, Haruka Ito had a knack for reading Akemi and knowing almost exactly what was going through her mind at any given time. As her fellow coworker at the local coffee shop, they worked the morning shift before their school started at 8 am (though Haruka had to work around their morning volleyball practices, so half the time it was just Akemi and their other coworkers). Currently, they were side-eyeing Akemi while helping her clean up the fourth spill by a clumsy customer in the past hour.

Akemi sighed as she wiped the counter down, before throwing the rag down to look at her friend seriously. "You'd post bail for me, right?"

"If I wasn't a broke high schooler, then of course," she said, before wincing in realization, "Kuroo still hasn't done his project proposal, has he?"

"Nope," Akemi responded shortly, pulling her phone out to show her friend before going back to aggressively wiping down the counter.

message exchange with: bedhead bastard

you know our project proposals
are due next class, right?
have you filled out your form yet?

lol nope

if you haven't finished your proposal
form for the project by the time chem
starts, i will murder you.

relax kishimara
i'll have it done by then
no need to stress about it

it's physically impossible for me
to not stress about it.
get it done. please.