《1》

I sat in the car with my headphones on. We were almost at the house and I couldn't take any more of Belly's singing. The song Golden by Harry Styles started playing into my ears. I noticed we had stopped at a gas station. I took my headphones off and got out. I stretched my back and walked in. I got some chips and some sour gummies when the cashier spoke up. 'Hey...' I looked up and saw him looking at Belly. She walked to the counter and I got a coke from the fridge. I got tapped on the shoulder. I turned and I saw my mom. 'Not so much junk food ease young lady.' I looked at her with pleading eyes. 'If I get all of this today I promise that I won't eat it all and make myself sick!' She rolled her eyes. 'Fine! Put it on the counter. You can wait in the car if you want.' I nodded and walked to the counter. I set my snacks down and sped to the car.

As Belly and mom got in the car I started eating my snacks. Steven continued to drive as Belly sang to her favourite songs. I turned to look at mom. 'Next summer I'm in charge of the playlist.' She chuckled slightly. 'Please do. No offence Belly!' She saw Belly staring at her wide eyed and open mouthed looking shocked. 'It's just I can't be listening to the same songs every summer.' She turned back around. 'Your loss mom!' I put my headphones back on and closed my eyes.

Soon my nose was hit with the smell of salty water. I knew exactly where I was. Some would consider this just a annual holiday but I consider Cousins my home. Well second home. I opened my eyes to watch the beautiful ocean as we rushed passed it. It was a beautiful mix of dark blue and turquoise. Not a single bit of seaweed could be seen laying on the sand. I had missed the feeling of sand under my feet. As we got further away from the beach we headed towards the house. I saw the driveway. And I put my snacks in my bag along with my headphones.

Steven parked the car and Jeremiah ran out of the house. We all got out by the time Susannah had come out of the house. We all hugged and said hello. I noticed Conrad coming over and I smiled. The boys looked at each other smirking. ' Hey guys! I dont know about you... but i think...its time-' Steven started to say. 'For a Belly flop!' He and Jeremiah said in unison before Belly and I ran away. Jeremiah and Steven had Belly already and were trying to get me. 'I see someone's gotten faster than last year.' Jeremiah yelled. 'You'll never catch me! I'm too fast for you!' I bumped into Conrad. 'Shit.' I mumbled under my breath. He grabbed me and dragged me to the pool. They threw us in and we pretended we were hurt so they'd help us out. Conrad reached for Belly and Jeremiah reached for me. We pulled them in. I jumped out of the water but was dragged in by my leg by Jere. We eventually got out and dried off.

I walked to the car to get my bags. I noticed Belly had forgotten her bag so I brought that in for her. 'Belly! Here's your bag. You left it in the car.' I saw her unpacking her clothes. 'I can't believe you still have that stuffed bear.' Jere said behind me. 'I could never get rid of junior mint!' Belly said appalled at Jeremiah. We sat at the table for dinner. It was delicious. 'Belly, Y/n...' Susannah pulled me out of my thoughts and brought me back to reality. 'I have a little surprise for you both.' She handed us an envelope each. I opened mine as she continued to talk. 'I Rangled you both a invitation to be a debutant!'

'Is that the the thing wear girls wear white dresses and curtsy?' Belly had a confused look on her face. 'It's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society. I-i it sounds silly but I swear... it's fun! Girls come all the way from all over new England to Cousins just to be apart of it.' I looked at Belly then my mom. 'You girls will make so many new friends.' She smiled sweetly. 'I can not believe you are still holding on to this archaic dream.' My mom got up and left. ' No it used to be about finding a husband but now it's about networking. They teach you leadership skills like how to market yourself and it benefits charity. It's um... it's like a bar mitzvah.' My mom walked in. 'It's not like a bar mitzvah. There is nothing religious about a debutant ball.' She laughed. 'The whole deb scene is bullshit, it's for sheep.' Conrad spoke up. 'Yeah!' Jeremiah laughed. 'No it's not! It's when a girl has a coming out It's a formal recognition she's reached maturity.' We sat up and smiled. Steven laughed and we glared at him.