Chapter Nine

Spottedleaf was sorting through herbs. It was almost leaf-bare, and she wanted to be prepared. The only thing missing, of course, was catmint. She had a few more fresh leaves of them, but not nearly enough to cure a whole Clan of greencough. The nearest garden that had some was running low and she was starting to lose hope. She frantically began looking around her store of herbs for alternatives, but had no luck. She pricked up her ears. Someone was coming. She peered around the corner and saw a pretty calico she-cat sitting at the entrance of the den. "Waterpaw," She mewed softly, "what can I do for you?" She padded closer and sat down a fox-length away. "You seem troubled." She added.

Waterpaw sat silently. She really had no words to say. "I..." Her paws prickled with anticipation. Spottedleaf didn't pry; she just sat there, and wrapped her slim tail around her front paws. "I just feel alone." Waterpaw finally meowed. Her head hung low and she closed her eyes tightly, careful not to shed any tears.

Spottedleaf stood up and sat close by Waterpaw. She put her tail over her shoulder and looked at her with soft love in her eyes, "You are never alone. Featherwhisker loves you deeply. He shows a lot of compassion towards you. It's something I've never seen in him."

"But he's dead." Waterpaw murmured.

"Yes, but he is our ancestor. A spirit that lives among us and helps us through the tough times."

"No one here in ThunderClan seems to even notice me." She retorted, "Firepaw is a kittypet, but Graypaw is always with him. And I have no one." Her head hung lower.

Spottedleaf didn't think her head could hang any lower, but it did. She fluffed up her pelt and nudged Waterpaw. "Well, you have me." She purred.

Waterpaw looked up with round eyes. Her eyes then softened and she purred happily, rubbed her muzzle against Spottedleaf's cheek. "Thanks". She purred.

Spottedleaf reciprocated Waterpaw's actions and rubbed her whiskers against her cheek. Waterpaw felt better, but she still felt like she was stuck in a Clan she didn't want to be in. Spottedleaf remained silent, but padded towards her store again to continue searching for alternatives to catmint. Waterpaw cocked her head to the side. "What are you looking for?"

"Catmint." She meowed softly, not taking her eyes off of the piles of herbs. "I just don't have enough for Leaf-bare, and it's coming upon us fast."

Waterpaw shuffled her paws. She knew where some catmint grew. Her twolegs grew some in the back of their den. They had lots of it too. If Waterpaw was to ever go back there, she may never come back.

Spottedleaf sensed her uneasiness and looked up at her with weary in her eyes, "something is still troubling you?" She mewed.

Waterpaw hated that she could tell how she was always feeling, but she was also glad. Waterpaw wasn't used to confiding in someone. Perhaps Spottedleaf, from now on, would be willing to listen. After a few short moments, Waterpaw finally answered, "I know where we can get some." Her eyes stared gleamingly at Spottedleaf.

Spottedleaf stared in shock, "You do?" She purred. "Show me," She sat up, eager to know.

Waterpaw's mind raced. Would both of them be going? "Are you able to cross borders?" She asked.

"Of course." Spottedleaf purred, "I'm a medicine cat. As long as we have a purpose, we're able to cross all borders. They can't shoo us away."

Waterpaw purred happily. She didn't want to go alone. She was happy that she would be having someone to go with her, especially Spottedleaf.

"I'll let Runningwind know right now!" She mewed and bounded off towards the clearing where he was laying in the sun next to Whitestorm and Mousefur. "Runningwind!" She yowled happily.