Chapter Nineteen

Bluestar padded back up to the highrock and heaved herself up. She looked as if she was searching for a specific cat. Then her icy blue gaze stopped on Whitestorm. "Whitestorm," She mewed. "Did Graypaw and Firepaw fight well against Brokenstar?"

Whitestorm lifted his head and hesitated, thinking back to the battle they had in ShadowClan. He nodded his head. "Yes, they both fought like warriors."

Bluestar dipped her head in thanks then looked back on the rest of the clan. "Firepaw and Graypaw please come forward."

Firepaw and Graypaw looked at one another, not sure if they should feel joyful or nervous. Firepaw looked away first and padded up to the highrock. Bluestar looked down at Firepaw then up at the night sky of silverpelt. "I, Bluestar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand your noble code, and I commend them to a warrior in your turn." She looked back down at Firepaw. "Firepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and to protect and defend your Clan even at the cost of your life?"

Firepaw hesitated. He felt so much pride, forgetting that he should say something in return. "Yes, I do." He finally mewed, looking up at Bluestar with gleaming green eyes.

Bluestar looked up at silverpelt again, then meowed. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Firepaw, from this moment on, you will be known as," Bluestar paused looking down at the apprentice, as if she was studying him. "Fireheart. StarClan honors your courage and loyalty and we welcome you as a full warrior to ThunderClan." She jumped down from the highrock and padded up to Fireheart. She rested her muzzle on his head, and Fireheart licked her shoulder in return. 

"Fireheart! Fireheart!" Shouted the clan.

Fireheart felt almost ashamed to be getting his warrior name so fast, and at such a terrible cause of many deaths. Even though none of them were his fault, he did feel terrible for the Clan. Since he came, there's already been four deaths. Hopefully no more will come from this good news of becoming a full warrior to ThunderClan.

Bluestar glanced at Graypaw and flicked her tail for him to come to her. Graypaw padded up to her, his eyes gleaming with pride. He stopped in front of her and sat down, wrapping his tail over his front paws. 

"Graypaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and to protect and defend your Clan even at the cost of your life?"

Graypaw couldn't hold back his purr. "I do." 

Bluestar looked up at silverpelt and spoke the ancient words. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Graypaw, from this moment on, you will be known as, Graystripe." She rested her muzzle on his head, and he licked her shoulder in response. 

"Graystripe! Graystripe!" Their yowls rang in his ears.

Fireheart and Graystripe dipped their heads as the clan shouted out their names another time.

"Fireheart! Graystripe!"

Waterpaw was still sitting near Yellowfang in the back of the Clan. She did not shout their names. She couldn't think of new and exciting things happening when so many Clan cats died in her time being here. She felt responsible for almost all of them. What if she was the real reason ShadowClan is attacking and killing the cats? 

Yellowfang looked at her with softness in her eyes and touched her tail to Waterpaw's shoulder. Waterpaw was shaken from her thoughts and looked up at Yellowfang. "It'll be alright." Rasped Yellowfang. "Time is a healer."

Waterpaw looked back down at her paws and shuffled them awkwardly. She didn't agree with Yellowfang, but she had to try and make the best of it. Waterpaw turned back to Bluestar as she began to speak again.

"It is almost moonhigh," meowed Bluestar. "In the tradition of our ancestors, Fireheart and Graystripe must sit in silent vigil until dawn, and guard the camp alone while we sleep."

Fireheart and Graystripe nodded in respect. Waterpaw padded up to them, congratulated them with a swift nod and padded to the medicine den to sleep. As she nearing the den entrance, she overheard Tigerclaw speaking to Fireheart. She couldn't hear what he said, but it seem rather cross. She turned her head slowly and peered at Fireheart to see his reaction. He seemed to have taken it alright, but after a few short moments he raced across the clearing to Bluestar. Waterpaw pricked her ears and glanced at Yellowfang as she padded up behind her. "Isn't talking to Bluestar breaking the silence?" She mewed, rather amused.

"Yes, but I guess that he has something important to tell her."

Waterpaw tilted her head to the side, but didn't say anything. Perhaps Yellowfang knows of Tigerclaw as well? When we go to the moonstone, maybe I can ask her. She thought to herself as she circled around the pile of moss, then laid down to sleep. She rested her head on her paws and slowly drifted to sleep. 

"Waterpaw." Whispered a voice. 

Waterpaw looked around, trying to find the voice whispering her name. She recognized the voice, but couldn't pinpoint on who it belonged to. It almost sounded distorted as it kept whispering her name. It got a little louder as Waterpaw walked around still trying to find the lone warrior.

"Waterpaw, Waterpaw." The voice paused for a brief moment then spoke words that Waterpaw did not understand, "Fire alone can save the clan." Their voice sounded like it was being spoken by many cats this time. 

Waterpaw blinked open her eyes. The words made no sense to her. Who were they? And why did she get the message? Fire is feared by all Clans. How can fire save them? As she thought of the words given to her, the word fire stirred in her mind. Then her eyes widened in dismay. She remembered what Spottedleaf had once said to Fireheart when he was an apprentice. Could Fireheart really bring the Clans peace?

She looked up at silverpelt and sighed softly. Oh StarClan, please help. And if I'm right, Spottedleaf, please watch over young Fireheart.