Little Lion Man - FE6

It's the final battle, and Roy stands before Idunn with a heavy weight on his heart. He won't forget all he's lost.

*:・゚✧*

In his childhood, it had never once occurred to him that he'd be fighting his father's war. Fighting against Bern. Then, it was only something that had been seen in the history books—a story of a Scion of Light fighting to put his father's spirit at rest and put an end to a dark age comes to mind—something of a bygone time. Something he'd never have to face. Yet now the final battlefield stretched before him, merciless and unforgiving even unto someone whose heart had once been so innocent. HE had once been innocent... running through an open field with Lilina, their joyous laughter riding on the wind. All of these seemingly age-old memories amongst the blood and soldiers; where his heart raced so quickly in his chest it hurt.

And in his hands, the legendary Sword of Seals trembled. For the memories of the smell of death would forever remain, long after this was over. He'll never be that kid again.

Weep for yourself, my man, you'll never be what is in your heart

Yes, he had come a long way to get here, to the Dragon Temple; and yes, he was all the wiser because of it. Yet with that wisdom also came uncertainty and the nightmares. Terrible, bloody nightmares where he would watch over and over again as his friends died, their screams lost amongst the fog of war. "...Why do you hinder my path?" The Priestess asks, her voice a soulless whisper in the darkness. A shiver down the spine.

"What...?"

"I have been commanded to lead this world," Idunn says sternly, robes swaying like that of a ghost's tail as she takes a step forward. From underneath her hood, a glimpse of sadness in her mismatched-coloured eyes. "I shall make this world a better place. So why do you stand in my way, little lion man, when I can see in your eyes your uncertainty to fight me?"

A beat; he reminds himself to stay brave. This is it. The beginning of the end now. He's almost there. A deep breath.

Weep little lion man, you're not as brave as you were at the start

"You're wrong. You were only told that the world would become a better place—and the person who ordered you is already dead," Roy responds, taking a deep breath to steady himself. "So please... stop! You no longer have any reason to fight!" Silence. He can hear his own heartbeat in the ominous quiet even now, as he gathers his courage. "You... no, we... we have no reason to fight. Please. Enough of this, Idunn."

Rate yourself and rake yourself, take all the courage you have left

"A long time ago... I have a feeling I heard those same words." Idunn murmurs, reminiscing. "They were soft words, like that of a warm breeze..." A pause. "But that was long ago. I have been asleep for too long. In the darkness, I was dreaming...an empty white dream; colourless...but now I am awake. His Majesty willed me so," Idunn continues, frowning as they glance at Sword of Seals. A sense of familiarity passes through the Dark Priestess' eyes—then it's gone as fast as it came, like a flicker of flame being extinguished. "I am no longer who I used to be." A sigh. "I now clearly understand what I must do," Idunn declares, lowering her hood with a newfound determination of sort. "I must lead this world... No matter how many days or nights pass, I must. I must..."

"You insist on fighting us?"

"Since you stand in my path..." Idunn answers, her shape beginning to shift. "I was woken to answer His Majesty's call." He raises his blade to meet her challenge, thoughts ringing like bells in his head. It hurts like hellfire.

Wasted on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head

"I can sense... a sad heart," Sophia whispers finally, presence gentle as ever beside him. "Be careful." And it is those words that make him recall all the times he wasn't careful—all the times people sacrificed themselves so as to help him—and he nods. He wouldn't let those lives be lost in vain; nor let their stories gone untold. Because... it was his fault, wasn't it?

But it was not your fault but mine, and it was your heart on the line

Those sacrifices had been made for him. Had he been more careful; not as naive, it wouldn't have happened. Yes, he had not known any better. And he could only imagine that those very same people would assure him that it wasn't his fault. Yet— "Roy, look out!" The prophet suddenly yells, voice echoing. Time slows to a near halt as she shoves him to the side, tome in hand as they attempt to retaliate against the oncoming breath of a dragon. Another scream. Whether it was hers or his is hard to tell for certain through the flames. But what could be made certain was that as she fell, she said her last words. The three words reserved only for those you care about most in your life, whether it be family or that special someone.

"Sophia!"

I really fucked it up this time; didn't I, my dear? Didn't I, my dear?

He had seen it all before, hadn't he? This was not his first time losing someone so dear to him. First there was Lilina. Then Wolt. This... wasn't even close to being the first time he had lost someone to this war. And he had not watched as his soldiers were killed one by one as well? All of them with families. Friends. All of them... all of whom he had failed. Forsaken. And now... Sophia. Sophia was gone. The soft-spoken young girl he had tried to protect... the very same one he had wanted so badly to see smile despite the burden of her power... he, too; had failed her now. "I'm sorry," he whispers, holding them close for one last time; for one last moment. He shouldn't have taken her for granted all that time ago. Why does he keep making these same mistakes? How many must fall?

Tremble for yourself, my man, you know that you have seen this all before

...No. He will mourn when everything is over. For now, he is in debt to her and all else who gave up their lives for him. Friends and soldiers alike, he is obligated to carry on for their sake.

Tremble little lion man, you'll never settle any of your scores

"Idunn! I won't give up!" He cries as he stands once more, determination—and perhaps a little anger—flowing through his veins as he holds his sword in his hands; all grace lost to the tides as they stood among the wreck, soldiers standing behind him. "Everyone! Together now!"

Your grace is wasted in your face, your boldness stands alone among the wreck

The sacrifices would only end whence the war did.