Home's Waves - FE15

With the war over, Kliff bid Alm farewell and vanished—with some speculating that he left for a new continent. Such was not the case.

*:・゚✧*

Dear Journal,

After packing up my things and saying goodbye to Alm and everyone else in Ram Village, there was only one place left for me to go—away. Just leave it all behind, perhaps even continue my study of magic. Hell, wouldn’t have minded if I ended up in an entirely different continent altogether. Just so long as I was leaving life in Ram Village altogether, I thought I’d simply go wherever the wind blows.

And, well, apparently the wind decided to bring me to yet another village.

I know, I know. It’s a big shocker. All that work to get out of that place, and I find myself drawn to this strange little village on an island called the Isle of Giants? It’s not even that far from Ram Village, all things considered (I remember we had only stopped at the port for materials and to trade. This place is particularly famous for textiles and agriculture). But it’s a neat little spot, unlike the run-down, boring waste of space that Ram Village is. Was. Whatever. Really though! It’s quite lively! Street performers, storytellers in town square…

Even the ocean waves crashing against the cliffside I’m currently sitting by brings me exhilaration, albeit a more relaxing one. Of course, that could be summer getting to my head. Can’t tell. Isn’t terribly important anyways, when it’s still a nice spot to work regardless—sure, I’m not the only one with that idea, but it’s fine. After all, the archsage sitting a few feet from me seems to share a mutual understanding with me in that neither of us will tolerate being distracted.

Thank Mila f... wait, no. She’s dead. Sorry.

He’s a peculiar sort, though. Aside from the odd birthmark on his forehead, I’ve seen him around when I’ve been people-watching in the village’s town square, a small boy with the scruffiest orange hair I’ve seen in my life in tow—babysitting, probably—and there’s...something off. I can’t put my finger on it, but as of now I feel like I’m in front of somebody who’s clearly much wiser than me.

And really, if it wasn’t for the fact that I’ve seen him be kind to the little kid despite the cold exterior, I’d be intimidated because of it. Guess it’s true when they say that humans are naturally wary about the unknown.

But it’s not my place to figure out their life story. I’ve got other things to worry about this summer, y’know? Aside from focusing on practicing and studying magic, I have to work on adjusting to a new life after narrowly missing the end of a lance a few dozen times. Which was, uh, fun.

I think I chose a good spot to do that though. Here by the waves on this lovely little island, I feel more at home than I ever did in Ram Village. So while I didn’t return home like a couple of the others did... I suppose it could be said that I’ve come home anyways?

Sincerely, Kliff