Ch 10: Gaining Power

"Mother," Prince Vox exclaimed. He rose to his feet as the Empress Dowager entered his personal chambers. He dipped his head and then stepped forward to kiss her gently on the cheek. "It's a pleasure to have you join me this evening for your meal."

"Son," she responded, her voice downcast. "Unfortunately, there is no pleasure in anything these days. Everything reminds me of the loss of my first born."

He took a step back, his eyes taking in her appearance. He had seen her on many occasions over the past couple of days, but he always forgot how hard she taken the news of Emperor Rathner's passing. Her shoulders were no longer broad, but instead curved and hunched. Her eyes were no longer bright and alert and were now dull and appearing disinterested in everything she saw. She also walked much slower and shuffled and not with her powerful strides that had always been filled with determination. It was as if her bones had aged thirty years over night.

"I know, mother," Prince Vox said, holding her arm for support as she settled on the cushions in front of a table that was already spread with food. Her personal servants fussed around her with extra intent and care, obviously concerned about her current state. They ensured her cushions were arranged suitably while her accompanying guards remained at her back. When they were sure she was comfortable, her two personal servants kneeled on either side of her.

Prince Vox ensured his tone was full of sorrow as well. "These are very sad and dark times indeed. The Talbecan Empire will certainly not be a better place without him. We have lost two great people in this family. Where is Prince Salren?" he asked, looking past the Empress Dowager. The evening's invitation had also extended to his brother.

"He informed me he would be late but will join us later," she explained. "It doesn't matter, we can start this meeting between you and me first."

She met his eyes, and he saw a hint of her old former strength trapped within the walls of her grief.

"Please, have a drink mother," he said, motioning for her server to taste her wine so she could start her beverage. "I didn't know you wanted to discuss the Empire's affairs this evening," he added. "We do not have any council officials with us."

"I wanted to discuss things on a personal level first," the Empress Dowager explained, taking a mouthful from her cup once her personal servant passed it to her. "It is paramount that we, as a family, are united and have the same ambitions and direction for our Empire. The people are my every concern as they always were for your father and for Emperor Rathner. I think there is a lot for you to learn."

Prince Vox tried to swallow down the sudden rush of feelings that flooded him; feelings of jealousy, anger and hurt.

"I have always maintained my studies on the running of the Empire," Prince Vox stated. "I am more than qualified."

"Yet, you never showed an interest for it before," Empress Dowager replied, never taking her eyes off of him even when she took another sip of her drink.

"Maybe before I had two strong brothers who never listened to me or let me show my true capabilities."

"Indecisiveness and a lack of confidence is not a capability," the Empress Dowager returned. "You will be watched and supported very closely. The only reason I have allowed this is because if anything happens to Prince Salren or myself, the Empire rests in your hands until his children, where ever they may be, are old enough to come to the throne."

Prince Vox didn't respond, but he allowed his rage to simmer underneath the surface. "I'm sure I have the same passion and direction for the Empire as you do. Please, have faith in me."