I won't say I am in love

It was a usual day, birds chirping, the sun shining, boys playing dangerous and murderous games. You sighed, fanning yourself with your hands; it was hotter than usual so the boys decided to go to the beach. Of course the only one being grumpy about it was Felix. When you thought about it, the second in command never participated in those peaceful activities. He was always the first when it came to violence. He rarely joined the usual activities. It was incredible he was there, and you wondered why. Usually he would avoid big crowds.

Sitting on a rock with your trusty sword at your side, you observed the other boys playing around, splashing themselves and stupidly trying to play fight. You didn't feel comfortable taking off your clothes and being in only undergarments amongst the other older boys. Felix wasn't even in the water too: he was across from you. You thought you caught him staring at you,but it was probably a trick of mind.

You relaxed and started to lay down, feeling the warmth of the sun, which was very comfortable. You may have fallen asleep, but someone shook you out of it. You opened your eyes, confused and annoyed. You just wanted to rest and take a nap.

"What?" You groaned, when you realized it was a young lost boy, panic spread all over his face..

"Felix was taken by mermaids!" The boy shouted into your ears in such a high pitched tone that it made you flinch. One day, you would end up deaf.

"I don't see the problem: you guys told me you hated Felix." You replied with a shrug, and it was true. Boys easily opened up to you and their hatred for the second in command was something they had in common. For yourself you never really found a bond to him. He was cold, not necessarily rude, yet distant.

"Yes but… if Pan knows we did nothing to save him, he's going to literally roast us." He shuddered, and you knew it was not an empty threat. Pan could do that. "You're the best swimmer out of everyone!"

"Oh my god, okay, I will go but stop yelling!" You groaned and rose to your feet.

You only knew one cave that the mermaids actually lived in: you never went there but Pan did tell you about it. So you started there, hoping to find the second in command and to bring him home quickly. God you hated rescue missions. Everyone always turned to you to help  them. But it was also the only exciting thing you could do on the island, being a girl you didn't have much choice but to do chores and play mother with the boys.

You sighed as you finally found the hole leading to the cave, and you could hear giggles from it. You wondered what the mermaids were doing to Felix, probably braiding his hair and putting flowers in it? It could be funny, you loved to see the blond haired boy embarrassed. He was always so serious, which was a contrast to Pan who was always goofy and childish.

You started to crawl into the hole, cursing as you felt your thin clothes ripping on the rocks. Even your hands started bleeding. He better repay me for this!

It was getting tighter and tighter and you wondered if it was a good idea to have come running after Felix like that. You shouldn't have done it. It was a stupid idea. But why did you immediately jump to your feet? This wasn’t like yourself, you were a very careful girl, always sketching a plan before jumping into the action.

You recalled the moments when you were alone with him, it was pretty rare. You always ended up in trouble somehow but always found your ways out of it. Also  you didn't know why Pan always teamed you two up for heavy chores and missions. Perhaps he trusted you? Yeah, that was the only way you could see it.

You yelled as you suddenly fell on the hard ground, the giggling and laughing immediately stopped. You raised your head and saw a couple of mermaids circling Felix who looked pretty fine but also bored. And indeed, the mermaids made a flower and shell crown on his head.