Chapter 31 - No Rest For The Afflicted

Colt watched as the flames danced around the outpost. He wondered if there had been anyone inside, like officers in training or other non-fighting personnel. If so, they probably would've been able to make it out in time, since the flames were taking some time to spread. But then again, maybe not. The fire was obviously started by the massive explosion he'd heard, a sound so big that Colt could only assume it came from one thing: a cannon ball had hit a gunpowder keg. So maybe the explosion had killed everyone evenly remotely close to the outpost.

It was a sad thought, but he put it out of his mind. He looked on numbly as he saw Captain Rave crossing the battlefield and stabbing two officers in rage, both of whom were too focused on the burning outpost to see the captain coming.

As he watched his old captain win fight after fight against various Authority officers, Colt realized something. None of it mattered anymore. Shots were still ringing out across the battlefield, but the fight was already over. It had been for some time. There was no way the Authority would beat Captain Rave and the crew of the Bloody Manta. They were never going to win that fight. Especially when the highest ranking officer on the island for some time was a mere Lieutenant. Even if better leadership and reinforcements arrived, they would still likely fall to Captain Rave and his crew. And yet Colt had thought he could actually beat the man in a sword fight. He thought that he'd had a chance fighting that pirate singlehandedly. What a joke.

Colt knew now that he wasn't going to be getting his revenge on Red-Head Rave. There was no way that he could beat the captain in a sword fight. He was a cabin boy, at the end of the day. He'd never stopped being a cabin boy. He had just pretended for a while that he was something more. But that was over. Reality had hit him straight in the face, with as much power as Captain Rave's sword.

He took a few shaky breaths. He was aware that he was still on the ground, but he didn't make any effort to get to his feet. What was the point, after all? Why should he keep fighting? What was in it for him? It was obvious that he couldn't get his revenge on Captain Rave, and now—Colt glanced up at the outpost—his last hope was burning to the ground. Now he wouldn't even be able to get any information on the lost Captain Finch, as it was likely in flames along with everything else in the building. He knew well enough that nothing would remain intact inside the outpost. The fire and explosions would destroy everything. Nothing would survive, least of all the fragile archives kept by the Infinite Authority. Shelly could no longer keep up her end of their deal, so why should Colt keep up his? There was no longer anything left to make him keep fighting.

Colt leaned back against the slim trunk of a small, nearby tree. There weren't many trees on this side of the island, he noticed. He didn't know why exactly, but he appreciated that fact. There were definitely enough trees on the other side, and he knew first hand that the Gold Forest was not a very pleasant place.

With his back nestled nicely up against the trunk, Colt let his eyes close. He didn't know what was going to happen, and he no longer really cared. Maybe he would fall asleep here, or maybe not. Maybe he would wake up later to an entirely different situation, or perhaps he wouldn't wake up at all. He didn't care anymore. He wished the Authority the best of luck, but he didn't have much hope for them. He fully expected Captain Rave and the crew to win the battle and completely pillage the island. Then they'd probably capture or kill him, and Colt couldn't really decide which was worse. Neither option was ideal, but he knew he wasn't going to get a third option. Reality sure was a horrible thing.

It was time for a well-deserved rest. It was time to let some other people do the fighting. Colt had done his part, or at least so he tried to convince himself. It wasn't like he could do anything else, after all. He just needed some rest.

Unfortunately, he didn't get any.

Before too long, he heard footsteps approaching him. They got louder as they came closer, then they stopped. Colt tried to keep his eyes closed. Maybe they'd leave him alone, thinking he was asleep or dead.