Chapter 21 - Barrel of Fish

"I can take a turn carrying it, if you'd like."

Colt readjusted his grip on the fish barrel and grimaced. He shook his head to decline Shelly's request, though he did appreciate her offering.

"I'm the one selling these, so you shouldn't have to worry about it," he told her.

"If you feel that badly about it you could just give me 80 percent of the profit once you sell them," she suggested.

Colt chuckled. "Only 80? That's a bargain right there."

"Hey, what can I say?" Shelly laughed. "I'm just a great friend."

"Oh, the best," Colt agreed. "But I think I'll carry them anyway. Besides, we're almost at the base."

Shelly nodded. "The final stretch."

They'd spent another couple of days walking and now were visibly very close to the Authority base. They still couldn't actually see it, but their landmarks on the map were getting closer and closer to the dot that represented the base. Colt would be surprised if it took more than another half day to get there.

Thankfully, the trip had started to speed up a little. They weren't going any faster than they had been, but it sure felt like it. Colt knew that this was because the mood between him and Shelly had increased substantially. They finally understood each other, and could talk to each other easily and lightly. It made time feel like it was going by much faster.

The end of their journey was looking rather promising. At least, until Shelly got shot.

This time it came out of the blue. First they were walking like normal, pushing various plants out of the way as they trekked along the path. The next thing Colt knew Shelly had cried out and was doubled over with pain.

"Colt!" She yelled out and clutched her side, eyes almost closed due to the pain. Colt sat down the barrel and ran over beside her, looking around frantically for the attacker.

"What happened?" he asked hurriedly. "Where'd it come from?"

Shelly just shook her head a couple times. "I... I don't..."

She stumbled back a little and then fell down onto the side of the path. She was breathing heavily and looked like she was about to pass out at any moment.

Colt kneeled down to help her but she shook her head again. She pointed into the distance.

"Find the shooter," she said. "Before they attack again!"

Colt nodded and turned his back to her, pulling his sword out and keeping it at the ready. He peered deep into the forest, looking all around him for any slight signs of moment. But there was nothing moving. He couldn't hear anything either. Whoever was stalking them must be a professional, or at the very least know what they're doing. Colt suspected that this wouldn't be some low-life thief like the one he'd let go a couple days ago.

If he couldn't spot his attacker, he'd have to lure him out using other means.

"Hey, coward!" Colt yelled into the forest. "Come out here and fight me, why don't you?"

"Oh, I plan to," replied a familiar voice from behind Colt.

Colt closed his eyes as he became filled with dread. Not him. Anyone but him. He took a deep breath, then turned around to face his opponent: Barnaby Trowt.

Trowt was standing on the edge of the forest. He held a bow in his hand, an arrow notched and pointed directly at where Shelly was laying.

"You're going to want to lower that," Colt told him.