Chapt. 4

Same Day

New York City, New York

Author's POV

"How's the conference going? I tried calling you last night

"How's the conference going? I tried calling you last night." Layla asked her boyfriend, Darren, over the phone.

"Sorry about that, babe. I stayed out late with the guys." Darren replied.

"It must have been a long one, huh?"

"Yeah, it was,"

Just then, a woman wearing one of his long-sleeved shirt emerged from the bathroom after taking a shower. Darren was so fixated on the young woman that he forgot he was on the phone with his girlfriend, who was calling his name.

"My bad baby, what did you say?"

"Do you need me to pick you up from the airport?"

"That won't be necessary, baby. I'll hail a cab. Knowing how your boss is, I don't want you to be late for work."

"Oh, okay.Call me and let me know when your plane had landed. I love you."

"I love you, too," Darren said over the phone to Layla before hanging up the phone and looked at the other woman laying next to him in bed.

"Had a nice shower?"

"It would've been better if you were in there with me instead of talking to your naive little side piece."

"Don't be like that, Melissa."

"You and I both know she's clueless."

"She also works for your husband."

"He knows better than to cheat on me since I'm his wife and the mother of his two children."She said, holding up her wedding band.

"But you're sleeping with me," he pointed out.

"And he doesn't know about it." Melissa assures Darren with a kiss.

Darren's phone abruptly rings just as the duo begins another love session.

"Hello?" Darren answers the phone.

"Darren, get your a** out that bed, boy! You know them my drawers!" An anonymous caller yelled.

"Who the f*** is this?" Darren hastily rose from the bed and inquired.

"You know exactly who this is."

"How did you get this number?"

Instead of responding, the caller hangs up, leaving Darren and Melissa perplexed.

Back In Minnesota

"You needed me, sir?" Layla asked as she enter Mr. Nelson's office.