Chapt. 11

June 9, 1998

Layla's P.O.V.

Alexander and I were in awe as we see our child on the ultrasound. When we heard their heartbeat, a strong one at that, we were surprised. Alex thought it'd be best if I moved in with him. I was unsure about it because he was still going through the divorce, but he assured me not to worry about it and he wanted to keep close tabs on me making sure I'm doing what I've told by the doctor since it's my first pregnancy. I was looking down at the photograph of my baby within my belly while he was speaking with my doctor. After we came home from the doctor's office, I started think about names for our bundle of joy.

"What you thinking about over there?" Alex asked me sitting at the soundboard.

"I'm just thinking about our baby." I replied, happily looking down at my expanding stomach.

"I was thinking about her too," he remarked as he joined me on the sofa and began caressing my belly. "Have you thought about names?" He asked.

"I'm stuck between the names Aurora and Aurelia."

"I like Aurora."

"Ok, Aurora Elise Nelson."

We were ecstatic when our daughter kicked, indicating that she, too, liked her name. Alex leaned down and kissed my belly, expressing how much we adore our baby girl.

"We can't wait to meet you, angel. Keep growing in there. We love you."

We went into the living room to unwind while waiting for the kids to return from Tiffany's.
Throughout the divorce case, Melissa was prohibited from being near the children, including Chanel, after her arrest. It's been hard on Jahmir and his sister Amaya not to see or contact their mother because of the conflict they don't know about. Maya asked her father whether Melissa's assault on Chanel, which she and her brother witnessed, explained why her mother can't be around them. Alexander told her that was the reason, but he never told her what the other reason was. We were flipping through channels when Alex came across his ex-wife on ET.

Melissa was being interviewed regarding the divorce. Not only did she tell the interviewer that I was the reason Alex was divorcing her, but she also addressed the kids and showed pictures of them.I turned to face Alex, who was staring at the screen with a calm but venomous glare. Melissa began talking about Chanel as I returned my attention to the television, and it wasn't pleasant.

"The worst thing that has ever happened to me was her. She's made my life a living h*** since the day she was born. She's a manipulative little brat that makes up these b******* stories just to get attention. I regret ever having given birth to her." Melissa revealed to the interviewer.

Alexander immediately turned off the television and stormed out of the living room.

I called out to him, "Babe," out of worry.

"I'll be right back." He said, angrily.

I was about to stand up from the sofa to follow him when the phone started ringing. As I answered it, I hear a frantic Tiffany on the other end.

"Tiffany, please calm down. What's going on?....What?... Oh my God...Which hospital is Jamar taking her to?...Okay, we'll be right there."

I hurried to look for Alex after I hung up the phone. Just my luck, he was walking in my direction from somewhere. He began to noticed something was wrong when he sees me on the verge of tears as I quickly walked over to him.

"Layla, what's wrong?"

"We need to get to the hospital-"

"Are you in labor?"

"No, no! Tiffany just called. Chanel tried to kill herself!"