Chapter 1

(Present time, in Panorse...)

" Roll to the left! Breathe fire! Claw! Leap! Dodge! Do you WANT the BurnWings to laugh at your poor fighting skills while they rip your scales off? "

Goshawk gritted his teeth and flung his wings outwards in frustration. "I'm TRYING" he shouted. He opened his mouth and shot a burst of fire at his attacker, while narrowly missing a blow to his snout. Throwing himself to the ground, he whipped his tail at his opponent's legs, knocking the larger dragon to the ground.

Leaping over the tall ferns, he pinned the dragon to the ground, and let out a triumphant roar. How do you like THAT, General ?

" Good " the General growled gruffly. " Although your respect could use a little work " Goshawk bowed his head, slightly irritated, but didn't speak again. The young HawkWing turned his head towards the other soldiers-in-training, who were watching him with blank looks. " You are all dismissed. Unimpressive work today "

Goshawk spread his ruffled wings, shooting a glare at General Ferruginous behind his back. " HAH! You got BEAT, Goshie! " A loud voice exclaimed.

" Chanting, shut up " Goshawk said, turning around to see a small, wiry young dragon grinning like an idiot at him.

" You got beat, you got SO beeaaattt " Chanting sang, her yellow eyes glinting with amusement.

" Not like you did any better " he muttered, kicking up a cloud of dust in his younger sister's face. I wish my family would just leave my alone! I'm going to become a top soldier in the army, while all of my stupid-face sisters can be lowly chefs. HA! Won't that be something?

He took off into the air, ignoring Chanting's calls of, " Don't be a stranger! " and flew down towards a small hut built into the trees. He sighed inwardly when he saw a brown and white speckled dragon waiting for him outside of the hut.

" Goshawk! Where have you been? Dinner is ready! You're always late! " The dragon scolded him.

" MOM, STOP CODDLING ME! " Goshawk said as his mother, whose name was Sparrowhawk, tried to preen his head feathers. " I'm a SOLDIER now, mom, you can STOP acting like I'm a dragonet! I HAVE to stay later after school so I can practice my- "

" Dear, come on and eat. No more staying at the battle center after school. The General's fighting made your feathers all dirty, and we can't have that, can we? " Sparrowhawk said, and beckoned for him to follow her into the hut.

" I'm SERIOUS, mom- " He tried to object, but she didn't even act like she heard him. Inside of the hut, rows of moss nests were neatly lined up, and a small stove had a bowl of something over it that smelled delicious. His mother was the Head Chef for Queen Redtail, although Goshawk thought that being a COOK of all things was work for a slave, not a prestigious family like them.

Sparrowhawk bustled over to the stove, and picked the bowl off the stove. " DRAGONETS! TIME TO EAT! " she hollered, making Goshawk scowl sourly. As the oldest child of his family, all of his sisters acted like he was a piece of dirty moss. Except for the youngest, Blackface. She treated Goshawk like some sort of god. Which, of course, I DESERVE! No other dragon got such a high score in battle training!

Five dragonets came racing into the kitchen from the bottom level, all screaming at top volume. " MAMA! RIDGEWAY STOLE MY SNACK! " Shorttail, the middle sister, howled, shoving Ridgeway into a wall. Every single dragonet started screaming insults at each other, and getting forcefully violent.

Goshawk scoffed and rolled his eyes at his sisters' foolishness. A REAL soldier would never behave like that. " STOP THAT! " Sparrowhawk growled, giving everyone a fierce glare. " Sit down and behave like sophisticated dragons "