The Drenthaxian Ultimatum

‘Meanwhile, in the outskirts of space, I weave through various meteors when unbeknownst to me, Flaxby and Trexler beam themselves aboard my ship.’

“I thought I’d never escape that oblivious tyrant. Now I can find a way home and help repair my kingdom.”

“At least the Venuvian Kingdom would be repaired in time for your wedding to Lord Vulkryon.”

“What in Zhalla’s name are you two doing on my ship?”  

“Our good-natured ruler has demanded your return, Your Highness. So we suggest that you turn your ship around and follow us back to Lord Vulkryon’s ship immediately.”

“And if I refuse to go back with you, General Flaxby?”

“Then you can kiss your Kingdom goodbye unless you agree upon marrying Lord Vulkryon, hence both your Kingdom and people will be safe.”

“Marry someone I don’t love to save my Kingdom, or have it destroyed upon refusing Vulkryon’s hand. Either way I end up miserable.”

“Lord Vulkryon will make a fine husband for you, Your Highness. With him as King, your people would never need or want for anything ever again.” 

“I don’t want anything from Lord Vulkryon.”

“You may feel that way now, but after your marriage to Lord Vulkryon, you will soon be, as the humans once said, singing a different tune.” 

“Will I, Flaxby, or is that what your master claims will happen?”

‘Flaxby raises his hand in anger, sucking air in through his teeth. He slowly lowers his arm, turning away. He takes a deep breath upon turning back to face me.’

“Princess Araelyn, for Lord Vulkryon’s sake, I will not strike you, no matter how smart mouthed or insolent your comments may sound. Lord Vulkryon doesn’t do well with damaged goods.”

“Damaged goods? You think of me as damaged goods?” I confronted Flaxby, while turning to walk away

“No, not at all. Lord Vulkryon considers you to be the most precious jewel in all the galaxy.” 

‘I stop dead in my tracks upon walking away. I turn back to face Flaxby raising an eyebrow at his statement.’

“Vulkryon said that?”

“He did. A few nights ago when he brought you here; he said that you were beautiful, clever and lively. And that he quite admires your fiery spirit. He described you as being nothing more than a precious jewel.”

“As flattering as that sounds, that doesn’t change how I feel about what he’s done, General Flaxby.”

“You should know, Your Highness, that it is customary for the Drenthaxians to win their desired mate through trickery and deceit.”

“That does sound like a Drenthaxian custom.”

“That is why he kidnapped you. Attempting to steal your heart by abducting the object of his affections.” 

“I won’t go back. Marrying for reasons other than love, and to a Drenthaxian ruler no less, is against my principles as a Venuvian.” 

“Trexler, grab the Princess. We are headed back to Vulkryon’s ship.”

‘Within nearly a nanosecond, we are back on Vulkryon’s ship. Flaxby tosses me into his arms, as he and Trexler leave Vulkryon’s quarters..’