Chapter 22: Tarakasura

Maya had spent half the night convincing Zuko that she would be fine and to go back to the fire nation. He didn't believe her so she had swore she would call him to her whenever she needed help.

Seeing the overly worried behaviour of the Firelord made the goddess nostalgic as she cupped his cheeks before realising it wasn't Surya but Zuko.

Zuko head started to throb in pain, he slightly leaned forward towards Maya, resting his head on her shoulder. His uncertainty immediately vanished when Maya hugged him.

He held onto the sides of her dress as she teleported him to her room, he lost consciousness soon after as Maya told the maids to keep food and water nearby if he woke up.

With one touch, Zuko's cloths were changed into much simpler attire before Maya left to meet Shiva.

"Tarakasura has challenged me to a wrestling battle." Shiva walked with the queen. "But the thing is.."

"His boon." Maya completed. "You have to kill him without any weapons but if his body is ripped apart, it can connect back together from where it was seperated."

Shiva thought to himself while Maya teleported both of them to the arena.

Shumbh walked closer to the duo as he lowered his height, now matching the one of Shiva. "Welcome, I am glad we could resolve to conflict in a peaceful manner."

Maya raised an eyebrow at the image of peaceful in Shumbh's mind as she turned to Tarakasura in the ring. "My prime minister, Lord Shiva will go against you." She turned back to Shumbh. "Neither will be allowed to use weapons. Nor will anyone else be able to touch the body of the loser."

"And it will be a fight to the death." Shumbh sounded threatening which worked on everyone except the deities, who simply nodded.

"Let the game begin!" Shumbh shouted as Shiva jumped into the circle.

Time skip

Shiva held the demon by his ankles and tore him into two halves. He threw them away as they started inching towards eachother before connecting back. Tarakasura jumped back up as the fight continued.

The same thing repeatedly over and over again when Maya noticed that Shiva was starting to lose his patience. She knew he could still kill him but to respect the boon given by Brahma, she took a small straight twig in her hand as Shiva's attention turned to her.

She split the twig through the middle and threw the half in her left hand to her right and the half in her right hand to her left.

Shiva took the hint as he did the same with Tarakasura.

The halves of the demon inched closer to eachother, they couldn't connect back to their original places hence Tarakasura couldn't be revived.

Shiva set fire to Tarakasura's pieces to allow him to head for the afterlife.

Shumbh watched the body of his burning brother dumbfounded as Shiva when to clean the sand off himself.

Time skip

Maya met Pitamaha who bowed to the queen. "Goddess, I have already accepted my death through your hands."

Maya smiled at him as she placed her hand on his head. He slightly stumbled as his body went limp as he fell to the ground.

His soul came out of his body but the corpse still had a smile on its face.

Time skip

Maya sat in her room with Zuko sleeping on her bed.

Soon he woke up, sitting next to the Firelord, Maya was immediately greeted with a question.

"You're a goddess right?"

Maya nodded as Zuko continued. "What if a person tries to falsely get your protection for his own advantage?"

"The one who would try to get me under his control won't even get my shadow under him." Maya explained. "It is almost impossible to tie me down."

"Almost?"

"Only selfless love and a pure heart can get me under your control, where I would happily be with you."

Zuko sat up as he spoke. "What do those visions mean? Who's Surya? Where is Chandra?"

"I can't tell you about the former but the woman knows you."

"I know you love someone more than your citizens." Zuko sighed. "Who is Surya in your life?"

"You want to know his name?" Maya asked at which Zuko nodded. "His name is.." She paused before stopping completely. Her eyes held an unknown emotion as she got up from her bed.

"What? Why did you stop?" Zuko asked. "You can't even say his name?"

"I can't say the name." She gave a sad smile. "The thing is, by taking his name I don't want to forget him. But I can say this, he loves me just as much maybe even more, just has forgotten me and my affection."

Zuko could see the pain in her eyes as she turned away, facing her back to him.

"Can you tell me more Chandra then?" Zuko scooted closer to her. "How did you choose king Ashok and queen Kamala as your parents?"

"I could to that.." Maya turned around, she placed her hand on his forehead as he went into a dreamlike state.

...

Zuko saw a couple sleeping in a prison cell when the woman suddenly woke up screaming, the husband stirred awake and realised that his wife was going into labour.

Time skip

The commotion caused the guards to alert Shumbh, who had imprisonment his sister and her husband himself.

The demon was told by a messenger of gods that the child of his own sister would be the one to kill him. Since then he had kept his sister and his brother-in-law in cells and had mercilessly killed his late nephew and niece.

He stormed over to the couple, ready to kill the newborn.

The woman begged her brother to spare her child but the demon didn't budge.

He grabbed the child by its legs and hit it against the rock nearby.

The cries of the child stopped as it turned to dust. The ashes began to shine and Chandra appeared.