Intro.

I arrive at the hospital, swarmed by the flock of people going out the entrance. I get pushed and shoved as I force my way to the reception.

"Amina Castro, please?", I say.

"Room 407.", the nurse says casually. She doesn't even look at me. She scrolls through papers and gets a pen.

Once she realizes I'm still standing before her, she shoots a glare and I quickly apologize for the inconvenience.

I enter the elevator and press the fourth floor.

The elevator rings and I am met with the familiar smell of alcohol and antiseptic—the usual hospital scent.

I take sight of my mom's room and walk towards it. Outside her door, I take a deep breath. It's been a long time since I have seen her.

I open the door, the creaking sound fastening the beat of my heart.

"Mami, I missed you.", I say with a small smile.

"Mi hija, it's been so long."

"I know." I sit on the bench close to her bed and start bringing out the ring I bought for her. I hand it to her and as she opens it, I earn a big gasp and a smile on her face.

She puts it on her ring finger and exclaims "It fits me perfectly! Oh, bello."

She notices me being solemn and looks at me.

"Is there a problem, Mia?"

"Nothing. I- I'm just trying to get accustomed. You know, I haven't been home for so long."

"It's good to have you home, mi amor."

"I know, mami. It's good to see you too."