Paradox

This was the first time she stepped foot inside her house since it was vandalized.

Her emotions were a cluster of happiness, anxiety, nostalgia and maybe a hint of loneliness.

Ryan had taken care of restoring her house and when she looked around, it felt like not a single thing was out of place. He replicated it to the last detail. It was as if her precious haven had never been tainted at the hands of evil.

From the exact shade of her drapes to her picture wall mounted with pictures of her clicked by Liam.

It was all beautifully restored and yet it felt like something was missing.

'Him.'  Her inner voice stated.

Scarlette shook that thought aside and took one last look around her house before she began to unpack. She had got very little back, even though Ryan insisted everything belonged to her.

It just did not feel right.

It was past midnight when she finished unpacking her belongings and she was itching to go back to her usual routine.

A cold shower after a long day followed by a book snuggled up in her favourite blanket on her reading lounge.

It had been thirty minutes and she couldn't concentrate on her reading.

It was a historical romance, her favourite kind; she always wanted to run down the elegant stairs of a Victorian castle in a ruffled gown trailing behind her.

These books always took her mind far away from the reality of the here and now.

But today she just kept browsing unable to pick the one book that could make her forget about her terrible morning.

She decided to give up reading and get some sleep.

William's wedding was a few weeks away and she had a pretty long day ahead of her tomorrow especially since she hadn't gone to work today because she was shifting houses.

Sleep is what she needed to calm her nerves but sleep was what decided to abandon her.

She was twisting and turning in her bed trying to channel some magical powers that could send her off in slumber but the quiet of the house and her cold bed were making her restless.

Since she stepped foot in her house, the nagging feeling that something was missing was eating away at her heart.

She tried to keep herself busy to get rid of it but it was still there like a persistent sales manager.

She did not want to acknowledge what her heart already knew.She wasn't some weak woman who felt incomplete without the presence of her partner.

She wanted space and she got it, the fact that Ryan hadn't called or messaged her even once since she came back should not bother her.

She did not message either.

But he should have.

She wondered whether walking out of his house meant he was walking out of her life.

Her heart sunk at that thought.

She did not want to break up. She just did not want to get too attached.

Was it all or nothing with him?

He did not say it in words, but what if that was how relationships worked.

She couldn't know, it had been a decade since she was in one.

She was getting restless with each passing minute.