09 | Liar Liar

LAUREL'S POV:

"Welcome ma'am. Please... this way" the young restaurant manager says as he stretch his hand forward, ushering me in.

I walk in with Femi behind me.

"Mom?, What are you doing here?... and is that... Chase?" I ask looking confused and surprised upon seeing my mom seating at the far end of the restaurant laughing and having coffee with Chase, the awful blind date.

"Oh hi my love" she says gently, getting up from her seat and stretching her arms to hug me. "How are you?"

Chase stands up as well and smiles. Probably realizing that I wouldn't shake his hands again, he waves "Hi Laurel". He still has a soft voice and doesn't look too bad. He exudes charm and charisma, and even his smile conveys confidence and the ability to win you over in a heartbeat. I thought to myself as I looked at him.

"Ahem" Femi coughs, bringing me back to reality.

"I'm okay mom, just here for work. What are you two doing here?"

"I'm getting a drink with a friend" she stops after seeing Femi behind me. "But she's running late" she slowly replies, saying the last sentences under her breath that I could hardly hear them.

She continues after clearing her throat, "Chase was already here when I got here. He introduced himself to me, he's a great guy... and he told me about your date" she replies, giving me a wink and smiling as if suggesting something, I guess he did not tell her about the part where I walked out and said I do drugs.

"I was in the area" Chase replies touching his hair and blushing as he looks at me with puppy eyes.

"Yes yes. And who is this handsome young man?" my mom asks softly with a smile. Her eyes are fixed on Femi, admiring him so much that I start feeling uncomfortable.

"He's an area manager at work mom, I'm in charge of him for now".

"I meant his name Laurel" she replies, pulling my arm softly and smiling more. Why is she behaving like a teenager? I ask myself slightly confused and amazed at the same time.

"My name is Femi ma'am, nice to meet you" he says, stretching out his firm masculine hands to shake her.

"Nice to meet you too" my mom answers, letting out a chuckle and a soft smile, it almost looks like she's blushing. It can't be what I'm thinking is it?...Nah, that would be unpleasant. I dismiss the thought.

She takes his hand as she gaze at him in admiration and he is not shy in reciprocating her gaze. Their handshake firm and lingering as I watch in awe. Oh my god she likes him!.. and he likes her too?  I ponder in confusion. I mean, it's not impossible; even at 48, my mom is a stunning and elegant woman with a good figure, she could easily get a man if she wanted. 

Well that's all for introductions

"Mom I have to work" they immediately remove their hands from each other's grip and everything returns back to normal. "Sadly, that includes teaching newbie here how to do his job" I continue, pointing at Femi as I say it. I can instantly feel him glaring at me but I look away. Those eyes! and what they do to me.

"I have to go too baby. I'll reschedule with my friend". My mom smiles as she brings out her phone from her small blue purse and gives it to Femi.

"Here, give me your number," she adds with a smile, and I can't help but smile too. Isn't that too straightforward? I think to myself and I can't get this emotion out of my head; I'm amused, dissatisfied, and possibly upset. I have no idea what the hell it is.