Chapter 93

Anug 8th, 3329 A

Anug 8th, 3329 A.G

The lake of Aises was nearly a day's journey across, but most of her army was suspicious still- and she couldn't blame them. Ebon's air had cooled again, but to the Dedori- people who'd spent most of their lives on the hottest continent, this meant nothing. Such a lake struck fear in them- as the scout in the distance made Nara's eyes narrow. They'd just started to go around the lake, where the land was so flat they could see much further than in Kroba- but were still obscured by tree coverings and lake boulders.

Nara wasn't sure if the scout'd seen her looking- until he smiled at her and turned his horse around.

Nara's heart sunk.

"My queen?" Andre frowned.

"Something is wrong. Get your breastplates on- now!" She shouted. "And ready your weapons."

Her people did what they were told, feeling something in the air too. In the past, any armor would've taken a few hundred moments to don- but theirs was different. They'd given the iron mines a design, and they'd certainly delivered.

Instead of being sewn into a doublet each time, their breastplates could be fastened at the sides and tightened- making it far more confident than what those of the Great War had to deal with.

  Some were slower than others, but Maude and Andre were some of the first to get theirs on- Nara a few moments later. They wouldn't keep the entire sets with their horses- just the piece that would protect their organs and heart. Nara drew her sword as the last of her men fastened their plates, gesturing for a few to come forward.

  "Take them far away from here." She commanded. "Protect them with your lives."

  "And if any harm comes to my wife- I'll stab you all." Andre added. "That is a promise."

  He leaned sideways just enough to kiss Imania, mumbling something under his breathe that made her smile. Nara looked away as they turned their horses around, back in the direction they'd come from.

  She tried to peer through the distant trees and boulders for something- yet there were no people she could see. The giants shifted behind her as if they felt that something, yet Nara gave no command. How could she- when she didn't know just how many they'd be fighting?

"Train all you want, but nothing can ever truly prepare you for fighting five men at once." Her father'd told her. "Whether that's during an assassination attempt or..... battle."

"I will never be in a battle-" she'd started to reply, but then an eating knife was at her throat.

"And never let yourself be caught off guard either." He continued. "Two hundred years is far too long for a world to go without war. It may only take one Assasin- but by the gods the five who tried to take me at twelve were determined."