eight

Four days passed and she wasn't getting any better. It was ten in the morning.

"How is she?" I heard Tewkesbury ask by the door frame.

"She's not getting better," I turned around to tell him.

Tewkesbury came up to me and hugged me. I wanted to cry, but I had to be strong for Lily.

"You're so strong." He stroked my h/c hair.

"I don't feel like it." I sniffled. It was true. I felt weak.

"y/n, you're the strongest person I know." Meanwhile Tewkesbury was stroking my hair, it felt soothing to say the least.

I heard Lily cough and I quickly pulled out of Tewkesbury's embrace. I rushed to her bed.

"Hand me the wet rag," I told Tewkesbury. Tewkesbury handed me it, I replaced the one on Lily's head for the one Tewkesbury gave me. I grabbed Lily's hand and kneeled in front of her.

"Lily," I whispered, "stay with me, please." I felt tears form in my eyes.

"y/n, you need to eat," Tewkesbury placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm not hungry." That was a lie. I skipped breakfast since I've stayed in Lily's room.

"y/n, you're going to get sick." He insisted.

"I'd rather die than have Lily die."

"Please, I'll take care of her." I looked at Tewkesbury.

I thought about it for a moment. I trust him.

"Fine." I gave in.

~~~

"Lily's not strong, Tewkesbury. Ever since she was young, she wasn't strong." I sat down on Lily's bed.

"y/n, she's like a younger version of you. She's so strong, she just doesn't have enough strength yet."

"And I don't think she'll get the strength on time," I said, facing Lily. I grabbed her hand. She's an angel, even when she's at her worst. "We almost lost her. Tewkesbury, I'm scared."

"y/n, I'm going, to be honest. Losing a loved one is not easy." Tewkesbury said truthfully.

"I know, but I'm not ready to let her go." I felt tears form. Lily stirred in her sleep and woke up. "Lily, are you alright? Do you need anything?"

Lily slowly sat up. "I'm okay, why are you sad?" She must have noticed the tears in my eyes.

"It's nothing Lily. Um, Lily," I talked to her.

"Yes?"

"Just know, I- I love you. And whenever you want to leave it's fine, okay?"

"y/n, I don't want to leave you." I reached over and hugged her. I placed my head on top of hers.

"I don't want you to leave either, but promise me you'll fight, and it's okay if you don't want to fight." I sobbed.

"I'll try," I know Lily's young but she's smart, she knows.

~~~

I spent most of the day with Lily, it was getting late.

"y/n, go to sleep," Nate said.

"I can't leave her-"

"It's half past twelve, you need to rest." James interrupted. I've never heard him this stern with me.