Chapter Four: A Runestone

A pair of hooves splashed through a puddle and the eager sound of laughter was heard. Galloping into the depths of the forest to the Hollow Woods was Irma riding on Tempest racing through the forest. A little cluster of light rain clouds had passed through the evening, dampening the ground and filling the air with the scent of fresh rain. The distant mountains were delicately sprinkled with the fading mist from the rain, like faint white frosting on cake slices.
"Keep going Tempest!" Irma called out, her eyes sparkling with excitement.
They were running together, as though they're one in the same. Irma felt the wind whooshed through her. She was intensely aware of Tempest's movements underneath her. She felt herself smiling and Tempest let out a loud whinny. Irma raised herself up slightly as the grassy ground disappeared underneath them for a bit. Tempest had leapt over a log. She felt her hair flowed behind her and her stomach lurched. She almost felt as if she and the mare were both flying. She tightened her grip on the reins and Tempest slowed down for a moment, long enough for her to regain her balance again and calm down her excitement. Irma took a deep breath, calming herself down and nodded to Tempest, who nickered softly with an excited look and they continued the ride.
They were heading back towards Valedale Village, since Irma works with Farrah and her crafting deliveries. She had also became one of the groomers of Valedale Village and could get close to the wildest horse (aka Tempest) without getting into an unfortunate accident of any sort. Irma was a little lonely with only Rhiannon, Farrah, and all of their horses for company. There never seemed to be true friendships for her since people like to make fun of her from living originally from the city and has a hard time sitting still.
It wasn't long till the paths were almost invisible by green grass and trees, and Irma could make out the burnt down house in the shade of the trees. But she soon a small movement in the grass by the ruins of the destroyed house. She felt the strong feelings of sadness and regret in the air near the destroyed house.
It seemed to be a glowing squirrel, but it barely looked like the natural squirrels she had came across before. Irma dismounted Tempest and walked slowly to the squirrel, trying her best not to accidentally scare it off as she looked at it. She lowered herself to the ground and Irma got a better look at the squirrel. The squirrel seemed to be glowing like a spirit. Tempest walked a bit closer to Irma, eyeing the squirrel with calm curiosity and protective wariness.
"Hi there." The squirrel looked up at her, chattering curiously. "What are you?"
The squirrel soon ran off towards the right side of them, startling them both at the squirrel's quick speed. Irma felt her instincts tell her that she and Tempest both must follow the squirrel.
"Come on Tempest, we must follow that squirrel!" Irma mounted the stallion and they two of them both chased after the squirrel.
She galloped onto the trails that carried them even farther away from the regular trail. The winding paths were flanked by grassy green hills, and Irma could barely make out the sky and hardly any sunlight dappled the forest floor as they followed the glowing squirrel.
The wind in Irma's face was in the same rhythm with Tempest's steady and quick breathing. Suddenly, in the middle of the deepest part of the woods, a clearing carpeted with soft grass had opened up. The clearing was bathed in a warm, golden sunlight. There was a large stone monolith with ancient writings and unique carvings on it, with some huge rocks behind it. Irma pulled on the reins and Tempest came to a stop. Around the same time, the squirrel had disappeared into the stone. Irma was a little alarmed and startled as the unique markings on the strange stone had started to glow bright silver on the surface of the stone.
"What is happening, Tempest?" Irma asked her horse.
Tempest snorted and her shook head, causing a bit of her forelock to go over her wary eyes. Despite her mare's wariness, Irma urged Tempest towards the stone and stopped at the side of the stone to have a better look at the stone. She saw the symbol of a reared horse on the stone and it was lit up in silver too. That silvery color reminded Irma of the thunderclouds that she had seen in the distance and the flashes of lightning too.
She placed her hand onto the stone and gasped when she had suddenly felt something felt something deep within her soul that was set aflame and felt its warmth spread throughout her body. The forest suddenly felt bigger and darker. The wind moved through the trees, causing the leaves to rustle. Other than that, there was complete silence.
That was when Irma had suddenly heard something. It was some sort of crackling sound, like from electricity or lightning. Irma was surprised to see a magical ball has been tossed into the air, the surroundings had became silvery-gray around her, only Tempest remained with her. Irma suddenly had a dizzy, tilting feeling that the hill was sliding down towards her. Darkness flashed before her eyes, and then a strange image within bits and pieces like a puzzle being put together.
Irma remained seated on Tempest and looked around warily too see that they weren't in Hollow Woods anymore, but Irma and Tempest both seemed to be standing on the top of the sea when she suddenly saw a voyage of wooden, Viking-like ships were sailing towards an island when the full moon was high in the black night sky.
She took in the sightings and noticed that the people in the ships were wearing clothes from the Middle Ages. She eyed the area around her warily and realized that she was seeing a lost memory of the past, maybe that's why nobody was acknowledging her and Tempest's sudden presences.
This must of happened a very long time ago, thought Irma and narrowed her eyes when she saw Jon Jarl in one of the ships. She recognized him from one of the ancient pictures that she had saw a while back. This is the founding of Jorvik apparently.
She cried out in shock as a pirate ship had started attacking the future founders of Jorvik and a massive thunderstorm had appeared over them. The cannonballs had caused massive, wild waves that made them galloped and jumped across the darkening waters, much to both of the rider and her mare's sudden amount fear. Irma rode Tempest away from the battle and looked back at the battle. She saw fire coming from Jon Jarl's ship and somebody with an aflame torch and a sword as he jumped towards the pirates on the other ship in defense of Jon Jarl. She couldn't see the warrior through the confusion of the fiery sea battle between the determined warriors and the greedy pirates, but something tells her that there's something unique about the warrior who sealed the sea battle for Jon Jarl.
But the sight of the ancient sea battle had disappeared from view and it had became dark as night at sea. That's when she suddenly heard a loud thunderclap and turned Tempest around to see somebody she wasn't expecting to see behind her.
They were like twins. The same deep blue eyes, the same hair, and even the same horse. Everything about Irma and the mysterious girl looked identical, except for the clothes and her hair style. The mysterious girl was wearing a blue druid dress with a deeper blue cloak flowing behind her like gentle ocean waves and small white flowers were braided into her hair.
"He'll need you," whispered a quiet voice from the girl.
"Who does?" Irma asked the voice. "And who are you?"
"The one of a forgotten legend," said the girl.
"The goddess reborn, or some believe." Irma frowned at the ghost's strange statement.
"Is the champions of Aideen returning?" asked Irma curiously.
"Did they ever left?" The ghost smiled softly and looked at Irma fondly. "That is the question. Two souls united as one, human and horse. That love makes you strong." The ghost looked at Irma in concern. "But you must help the Blind Ones find themselves again."
"What?" In Irma's mind, this strange meeting had started to confuse her and making her feel more uncertain and curious.
"You must show him the way," continued the ghost.
"How am I supposed to do that?" Irma asked, her voice held some uncertainty as she looked at the ghost.
"You carry the power inside of you," explained the ghost, shocking Irma. "But you are not alone. Find him and you will know the truth. The truth..."
At that moment, the ghost had started to fade away as well as the scene surrounding them. Irma felt more than half a dozen questions circling within her mind.
"Wait!" Irma cried out to the fading ghost.
Irma shivered as she felt the darkness had started to surround her and blinding her senses. Another ball of magic had started to appear from the darkness. There was another crackling sound, like from lightning. When magic ball had been tossed the magical ball into the air, their surroundings had turned back to normal around them.
Irma gasped for breath and removed her hand from the runestone to place her hand over her chest. She could hear the rapid pace that her heart was going from seeing such a sighting. She felt herself trembling and felt Tempest's fear just as well, but the mare calmed down just as quickly.
"Hello my dear." She suddenly felt a cold chill go down her back and made her mare spin around to a woman watching her and Tempest from the shadows. She was wearing a long black dress, a cloak that seems to be made from raven feathers, and long black boots. The woman's skin was so pale, her skin almost looked blue like ice. Her hair is long and curly, it's also black as raven's feathers and has a purple shine to it. Her eyes were striking blue and seemed to be glowing with an eerie light. But the strangest thing about the woman is that she had a pair of light blue deer antlers on her head.
"Who are you?" demanded Irma as she and Tempest gotten into defensive positions and started glaring at the eerie stranger warily. "What do you want?"
"My name is Harpy," the witch said sweetly with a smirk that made Irma tensed. "I want to give you and your mare a gift."
Irma raised an eyebrow at the witch and said, "A gift?"
Just before the mysterious woman responded, Irma's amulet gleamed and a roaring neigh could be heard. Irma stiffened at the new presence and watched as the new presence had started to come towards them. It wasn't long to see it was a fierce blackish-red Shire mare with unique darker black runes, though her mane and tail seemed to be set on fire as well her feathers by her hooves that seemed to be following her tracks and her bright amber eyes glowed like fire.
The magical mare reared and roared at the witch, making the witch freaked out. The witch paled at the angry mare and disappeared into a ball of dark feathers. The magical mare snorted and looked at Irma and Tempest more calmly. Irma was stunned at the sight of their savior, but the mare seems to be waiting for something. Irma finally figured it out and decided to say it.
"Thank you Nemain," said Irma with a respectful bow.
The mare snorted before galloping away from them and headed away from the forest. Irma was beyond shocked from what just happened to them. But something tells her that this had happened before. She didn't know how she knew the mare's name and yet it just came into her mind unconsciously somehow before the mare had disappeared into the depths of the woods.
What just happened? wondered Irma in wonder and amazement rather than afraid.
She urged Tempest to step towards the flaming hoof prints and the burnt grass. It confirmed to Irma that she and Tempest had both came across Nemain and they were recused by the fierce mare from the witch.
Irma was curious about it though and wondered, Why did Nemain rescued us? And what did that witch want from us? As she rode Tempest out of the deep parts of the forest. Why did I feel like this has happened before?