13 | Running

CHAPTER 13 :: RUNNING 

10 years ago

The young short-haired curly boy roams around casita, fascinated by the splashes of colors and sparkles for his cousin's gift ceremony tomorrow. His eyes were in awe as he saw streamers being hanged and flowers growing. He follows along the wooden ledge, filling his chest with short-term joy until he saw the door that had glowed the same way last December. He felt his lips quiver as his fist tightened. For a young boy, he didn't quite understand how he felt but instead felt the grip around his heart. He felt everything was familiar and the way he felt for his own gift ceremony. Everything was unfair. 

"Hey Camilo, are you okay?" 

Camilo glanced at his side to see his bubbly cousin whose excitement could be seen in the glint of her glasses. Mirabel, the birthday girl. Her short curls were tied into pigtails and her little dress was messy as always. It took her cousin a bit to reply with a simple nod. It was only silence between the two as they sat in between the railings of the second floor, overlooking the hardworking volunteers for tomorrow's festivities. "Camilo, are you still sad about having no gift?" Mirabel asked out of the blue. Her cousin choked for a minute and coughed nervously but immediately covered it with a hefty chuckle.

"Pfft! No! Me? Naaaaah I'm not sad. At all!"

"Okay!" Mirabel replied, allowing silence to be present gain. "You're not gonna ask me again?" Camilo nudged, looking a little annoyed. "Nope! you're happy and I'm happy since I'm getting my gift tomorrow!"

"Oh yeah, it's tomorrow...." he sighed.

"Did I hear a sigh?" 

"No! Stop over analyzing or else you'll get a boring gift that gives you headaches like our uncle!" Camilo grunts putting his hands on his hips. Mirabel laughed out loud, knowing that she was right. The boy looks up for a bit and softens as he hears his cousin's chuckles, he follows along sharing a hearty child-wonder laugh. After laughing about their uncle, Mirabel looks at Camilo.

"Are you worried that I'm going leave you after I get my gift?" Young Mirabel asked, the brown-haired boy looks in a bit of shock, leaving a gap of silence before answering. "Yep... I don't want to lose you, couz." 

Mirabel pushes Camilo to the side and lets out a grin, "No te hagas tonto! I'm not leaving you anytime!"

"You promise?"

"Yep! In fact, I already asked Mama if we can share the room together! Oops! That was the surprise," Mirabel blurted, covering her mouth immediately. "Really?! You mean it?" Camilo's eyes sparkled, as he stood up and jumped up in excitement. "Yes!! I'm sure Casita would be kind enough to make another bed in the room! Isn't that right, Casita?"

Casita's tiles playfully tapped beside them as they both giggled in excitement. Camilo felt lucky to have a kind cousin, his only comrade in the family. When his sister and older cousins excluded him, Mirabel always invited him. You can sometimes even argue that they're twins from different mothers but in the same blood.