Chapter 2 | The Pirate Ship

A/N: Trigger warning for this chapter, because of pirates. Beating with a cat o' nine tails.  Also, I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to update, but I hope this makes up for it! I have had so much writer's block for this story, but I think I'm finally getting some ideas!

Y/N woke to the bitter taste of salt water and rolled over, spewing the horrible liquid from her mouth. She coughed once, then twice, then thrice, before finally feeling as though she had gotten all of the water out of her mouth. She rolled onto her back and tried to settle her panting. There was still a tight pain in her chest, and she slid her hand beneath her shirt, massaging the space between her ribs.

There was the thud of heavy boots and Y/N groaned. Had her father finally returned from his days at sea? That would be a relief. She could tell him all about the strange dream she had dreamt the night before—the dream of a pirate ship approaching the shore and the strange melody that had filled her ears.

"Oi! Get up ye lazy lass!"

That was most certainly not her father. Her eyes flew open and she was met with the horrible stench of ale and rum, and of people who hadn't showered in what had to have been a month. There were also a few other smells that she took great pains to ignore, and she pushed herself up, pulling her sleeve over her hand and pressing it to her nose. 

It was now that she realised she was no longer in her house by the sea, standing on the bluff. She was sitting in what could only be a cell. The floors were made of burnt wood, and across the room from her, was a wall of iron bars. And on the other side of the iron bars, was a man who had to be six feet tall, or possibly taller than even that, with a scruffy black beard, and dressed in clothes that looked two sizes too big for his form. 

"Where am I," Y/N snapped, rising to her feet. She went to take a step but was jerked back when she failed to realise the iron manacles holding her to the wall. She whipped her head around, her eyes widening when she saw the chains holding her to the wall.

"Yer on the Secret Revenge, lass," the man sneered. "Cap'n decided that it would be better to put ye to use rather than leavin' ye to the briny blue." He pulled out a ring of keys and waved them tauntingly in front of Y/N. "If it were up to me, I would have left ye at the mercy of Davy Jones." 

"You were the pirates who attacked my village!"

"Aye. 'Course we were lass. Yer village 'as been tauntin' us for ages, it was high time we plundered it." He gestured to the window behind her. "Look fer yerself."

Y/N was hesitant to turn her back to this man, but she wanted to see what remained of her village. She slowly turned toward the window, and her eyes widened. All she could see was the vast stretch of ocean, and a plume of smoke rising in the distance, like a beacon of destruction. She didn't need to ask to know what that meant. Her village had not merely been plundered. It had been destroyed. By canons and gunshots, her village had fallen into nothing more than a pile of ash and stone.

Y/N let a few choice words slip as she turned and slammed her hands into the bars that were holding her away from the wretched pirate. She growled at him, her hands gripping the iron as she rattled them dangerously.

"You little, slimy, son of a -!"

The pirate cut her off, "I would watch your mouth, little lady. The cap'n doesn't take kindly to smart-mouthed women aboard the ship."

Y/N's hands shot through the bars with surprising speed and grabbed the man by the cuff of his shirt. She pulled him against the bars, his cheek swelling in the space between them. Then, she pulled her other hand back, and let it fly into the man's face. He stumbled back as she released him, tripping over a bucket and mop that someone had left out. Salty sea water fell to the floor with a splash, soaking the man from head to toe.