010 ♕ And Eve Was Weak ༄

A/N: Hello, everyone! Shorter chapter this time. Sad reminder that Brenner is Not Great. Some quality Jim though. TW: Abuse, violence, and manipulation. Mental break. **Thanks for reading and comment if you enjoy the fic. xoxo

** ** ** 

1971

"I don't understand why you're upset, you did the job to perfection." Brenner typed away. Avoided Lucy's eyes.

"I was almost caught. I could have lost my actual job."

"But, you weren't." He said pointedly. "And if you had been caught, you realize what must be done."

"Killing witnesses in my small town. Right. Make things worse. Your guys were sloppy." Lucy seethed until he looked up. Her hands came to his desk carefully. A breath. "When they do jobs close to home, they should have extra care. Having me sneak into Gary's office before he can do the autopsy to...fix it. That's a risk. These people trust me. Your men should have done the job right the first time, Martin. I'm..."

She stood taller to touch her head. Another slow breath.

It was strange to be so bold and yet, Brenner seemed to covet it more and more from her since their first kiss. Within reason and that reason would come.

"Punishment was administered. It won't happen again." Martin eased, stilling to clasp his hands. "I'm very proud of you."

Was that all she wanted to hear from him?

Shoulders dropped.

Not one soul uttered Nolan's name to her in question. There was a bleat of dissatisfaction at that because she even had a lie all ready. Suppose it was fitting.

Insulting too. No one ever suspected women first.

A knock alerted them before blonde hair poked in. Terry Ives. Dressed in civilian clothing with her hand supporting the reason she left the experiment. A swollen, pregnant belly. Almost felt like a bomb might go off.

"Martin?" She spotted Lucy and watch a speck of green flash over her brown eyes. "Oh, sorry."

"We were just finishing up. Come in." Martin swept to his feet, gesturing for Lucy to move without looking at her. "Lucy, take a visit to the garden, there's a surprise for you there."

"Nice to see you again, Terry." Lucy stood, hands clasped. They'd met in passing quite often. "You look amazing. It's true when they say women glow."

"Constantly feel like I might tip over." The woman smiled there. Martin let her leave the experiment after the pregnancy was confirmed. Let her think she was out and occasionally called on her for further interviews about her experiences under the influence.

Offered all the help he could in his way.

"Do you know if it's a boy or girl?"

"Little girl." Terry rubbed her tummy and Lucy moved to offer the seat. "No, thank you, my sister's driving me up the wall with rest."

"Terry, I insist. We have a lot to cover in a short time." Brenner came to pull the chair out so she sighed into it. Lucy stood there watching him looking at her. A chill tensed her spine. "Lucy, we'll speak another day, I'm sure."

"Do you have names picked out?" She ignored him. Wanted to stay with this woman. Didn't want to leave her alone. Not with Brenner.

"Jane." Terry replied, catching the expression on Lucy's face.

"That was my grandmother's name. Wisest woman I knew."

"Wait, are you...Mia's sister?"

"Lucy, the garden-"