014 ♕ Paper Boats And Lovelace ༄

A/N: The timelines finally connect. Jim comes home to Hawkins in 1979. A hard consequence in 1982 changes Lucy. TW: Murder, vomiting, mentions of suicide. **Let me know if you're out there, thanks!! xx

** ** ** 

1979

Rain poured. Huge, glopping drops that splattered out. Lucy took a walk in it. Decided it was the perfect afternoon to get caught under a storm. Humming soft and sweet. Gone. Floating farther away from this reality.

A sleek rain coat, candied red, fitted taught along her frame. Shiny like plastic and so artificial. Heels clicked wet pavement under dark grey skies. A white umbrella with polka dots the same shade of red. She drenched the dull world in vibrant, bouncing colors. Blood in the streets.

Lucy imagined it flowing out from her. All directions. The hands of her experimental siblings dead and alive clawing out from sewer drains.

She continued to hum alone. Pretty siren. Murderess.

A child's helpless cry brought her down to Earth. Set her teeth on edge.

"No, wait! No!" Small rubber steps squeaking behind her. Lucy spun to see a little boy in a yellow raincoat that was too big on him. Racing down the side of the street to follow the water draining toward the sewer. Chasing a paper boat.

Lucy hurried to pluck it up before it could be washed away with nothing at the same time the boy skidded to fall into pavement. Her umbrella came down, quick steps to grasp his fragile, pale wrist and bring him up. The rain ruined her hair instantly. Splashed down her face to make the mascara bleed down by crimson lips.

"Are you alright, sweetheart?" She swept the mud from his clothes as he sniffled and tried to be braver through the pain. Ink black hair and snow white skin. A red tint across his puffed cheeks from the chase. Looked like a doll. Rain covered his little tears. He had to be about eight.

"I can't talk to strangers."

"You're very smart not to do so." Lucy stood and took a step back for good measure. Too still and eerie there. Plucked her umbrella up to close it. Head tilting without a blink. "What a lovely boat." She held it toward him. Scribbled on the side was S.S. Wheeler. "Would you like it back?"

A calm took her over with the rainfall. The little boy smelled vaguely of a bakery. Strawberry rhubarb pie. Frightened of a stranger with a red smile in the storm.

Lucy wondered if fear was a beautiful thing. It made us truly human. Reminded us that we were here and moral. Motivated us to be brave and push.

He nodded slower, eyes catching the light.

"You're Karen's son, aren't you? Mike." Lucy bent to offer the boat. "Be careful out here, you don't know what lurks underneath us."

"Nothing ever happens in Hawkins, lady."

"Maybe when we're not looking. Sometimes it's easier not to see." She let him take the craft back. "Just keep those eyes open."

"Thank you." He sniffled and wiped his cheek.

"Mike!" A young teen raced around the tall hedges. Stilling without a coat on like she'd rushed out of the house. "You were supposed to wait for me! Mom's going to be upset-...oh, sorry about my brother, Ms. Garland."

"Nancy. It's fine. He's alright. Tough kid." Lucy felt droplets seeping down her locks and into her jacket. Warm, humid rain with no chill in sight.

"Miss Garland, the witch?" Mike had whispered to his sister.