01x01 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲

October 27th, 2021

18 months since the Apocalypse

The air of Outpost 3 was, in its regular fashion, stagnant and suffocating upon His arrival. Poorly lit hallways of the deep underground facility were the only escape from the long-dead world, and yet, felt more like the final resting place for its inhabitants, and their ultimate grave. She often contemplated whether it would be better if she was just wiped out of the face of the Earth on that very day, like everyone else, instead of being trapped there until they die, her and the rest of the Apocalypse survivors, always needing to follow all the strange, unhinged rules created by their overseers, each passing month having less food, less things to talk about and less hope for a better future.

However, it all changed when He appeared in their usually never-changing, boring lives. A stranger, clad in all black, was Mr. Langdon, the representative of the Cooperative, who arrived to interview the inhabitants of the Outpost 3, to see who would be fitting to be taken to the Sanctuary - which means escaping this pathetic prison of spiral walls.

"My name is Langdon, and I represent The Cooperative," he announced, the fireplace behind him as if illuminating his presence. "I won't sugarcoat the situation. Humanity is on the brink of failure. My arrival here was crucial to the survival of civilized life on Earth. The three other compounds...In Syracuse, New York, Beckley, West Virginia, and San Angelo, Texas have been overrun and destroyed. We've had no contact from the six international outposts, but we are assuming that they, too, have been eliminated."

As he spoke of humanity being on the brink of destruction, the Cooperative's plans, of the new world they're going to create in that mysterious Sanctuary, he kept looking into each one of them with his piercing blue eyes, and she couldn't help but shudder when his gaze turned to her. The man was certainly a presence to behold. There was something...captivating about him, and it wasn't just his dashing looks. There was a deep, immense power of unknown origin practically oozing from him and every part of his demeanor, his chic Victorian style clothes starkly contrasting to their obnoxious purple ones, mimicking those of 18th century at Ms. Venable's command.

And now he sat across from her in his assigned cabinet, pulling her out of their only allowed meal time for an interview. His soft-looking, long strawberry blond locks were shining golden in the candlelight. Somehow, she felt as if her body and soul were laid completely bare under that intense stare of his, and he knew everything, could see right through her mind before she even opened her mouth.

Despite her stomach churning, being disappointed at missing the meal today, she was happily smiling at him. It was an opportunity she couldn't throw away or refuse. A chance for something better...A chance to see a new world rise from the ashes of the nuclear waste, alongside the most powerful people on this planet. He already interviewed some of the fellow inhabitants, and she was worried whether she even left enough of an impression to be interviewed at all in the first place, but luckily, right now she got her chance.

"Miss Jessica Young." He finally spoke, clasping his hands together and leaning onto the chair in a confidently relaxed manner.

"That is my name, sir." She replied, shakily clutching the silk fabric of her dress by habit, on contrary to his relaxed position. Something giddy was arising in her chest from the nervousness and excitement she felt. She didn't want to blow this chance at all costs.

"Your parents passed away early, and you lived on your own in Los Angeles ever since you came of age, and started working early as a renowned musical performer before even finishing your degree, correct?" He asked outright, clearly already knowing the answer. Not even having any files laying around, or anything to indicate that knowledge had a source, he just recited her life story in one breath as if it was his own.

Perhaps, that was the power of being a member of the Cooperative.

"Yes, that is correct, sir."

"How did you feel about that?" Came an immediate question, and Jessica confusedly looked at the man in front of her. "A wonderful opportunity, almost out of a fairytale. Surely that left quite an impact." His lips curved into a devilish smile, which prompted her to answer, as if by command.

"I...feel like it's not anything worth mentioning. A scouting agent happened to hear me sing on the street and contacted me later on, and I was immediately taken on board. It was pure luck, in my opinion." Jessica replied, biting her lip and looking away. Was her answer sufficient? How to tell? Langdon's eyes bore into her face again, and as if somehow reading her thoughts, he hurried to reassure her.

"Now, remember this, Jessica. There is no right or wrong answer to my questions. I am simply evaluating your character based on what you tell me in full honesty. If you hedge, I will know. If you lie, I will know. And if you try to trick me, I will know. So don't think too hard. Just tell me what you truly feel. That is the only rule my interviews have." He got up from his chair and strode closer to her, leaning against the table. The fireplace was quietly burning, interrupting the deafening silence that was the only sound she could hear around her when Landgon wasn't speaking.

"Now, I was informed that despite not having the necessary funds to buy yourself a ticket to an Outpost, you were taken two hours prior to the Apocalypse to a safe location and have become a Purple because of your supreme genetics along with your two other cohabitants here."

"That's right, Timothy and Emily. I... don't really know what having these perfect genetics entails, but, I suppose if the Cooperative said so, it's true. Will it...help me get the position?" Jessica chuckled a bit, and yet Langdon didn't reciprocate.

"Well, dear Jessica, what if I told you that...it was all a sham?" he languidly whispered, placing his hands at the two sides of her chair, suddenly inches away from her face. "And that you were meant to end up here?"

Well, that was certainly sudden.

"Uhm..." The young woman recoiled, trying to lean back to have some distance between them again. "I wouldn't know what to say to that, to be honest." Honestly, what could he expect to hear from her right now?

"Your whole identity, your job, your position here...It was all staged according to the higher up of Cooperative's plans. My plans," he explained, clearly enjoying the beffudled look on Jessica's face. The man leaned even closer, and she swore she could even hear his heartbeat. Being so near him felt as if the time stopped, and they were the only ones here, and this moment would last for an eternity before one of them would break this silence.

"W-What are you talking about, sir? I don't quite follow..." Jessica nervously whimpered, suddenly feeling his hot breath against her skin, his soft hair falling down and tickling her chest. It was...very intrusive, and yet wasn't unwelcome by her. She felt like whatever he could possibly do to her right now, she wouldn't be able to resist those eyes and that melodic voice, dripping with honey.

"You are not who you think you are. And soon, you will see that. And remember who I am...dear Jess." Langdon purred into her ear, (did she really sense a hint of affection in his voice just now?) as his fingertips gently touched her forehead. Running his hand over it, as a part of some kind of ritual, as if lifting the veil from her mind, all the protective wards holding back her real memories disappeared in an instant, and soon enough, everything she knew before became uncertain. He left her no choice but to bite the apple.