Part 36

Sand was rough under my feet as I walked my way along the beach. Memories of a white sandy beach and crystal clear water flooded my mind. I tried to remember the warmth of the summer sun, how the rays danced on my skin and burned my nose. Closing my eyes I could almost reach out to the feeling of the breeze hitting my face and fanning the loose strands of my hair in the air playfully. In my head I could barely make out the faint sounds of laughter and screams of joy that were produced on these very shores.

How many times did I giggle in my brother's arms when he tossed me in the air? How many times did I chase a beach ball in the shallow water? How many times did I sit under a pile of towels shivering while eating ice cream despite it making my teeth jitter? Those memories seemed so far away, but standing on the same sand I got a glimpse of my past and I wanted to stay there even if it was just for a moment. I heard my brother shouting behind me as I picked up a rock and touched the wet sand that was left in the wake of the trashing waves. "Beatrice! Stay close."

"I know." Smiling, I tossed my long black hair over my shoulder and threw the rock as far as I could. Watching it bounce on the surface, I counted the ripples I had created, counted seconds, minutes, hours, till they finally stopped and the lake was once again undisturbed and only affected by its own force. There was an eerie humm that made its presence clear and the wind picked up. Waves became more ominous and the once white foam was tainted and murky. I followed the waterline to the far end of the beach. Shadows of my memories played by ghostly figures skipped and jumped, never missing their footing as they effortlessly followed the treacherous trail of the rocks. Their silhouettes formed in shapes familiar to me. I gasped as I saw a slender man with light hair identical to Leo's stand on the rocks. "Luca!"

The man turned but it wasn't Luca's face I was staring at as this figure had no face. Terror spread through me that had me crying out and my hands flew to cover my mouth. As I let out the wretched yelp for the horror that this figure had caused me, I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder. I snapped my neck turning to see if more of those faceless creatures were behind me but I felt a sigh of relief though only for a second as Leo was equally as shocked as I was. He let out a soul crushing roar and fell on his knees making a crater in the sand. The need to console his anguish almost stopped my heart and I felt the air being sucked right out of me. He banged his fists to the ground and dragged his nails along the sand. A puff of dust flew up from where he had disturbed the sand making me realise that the sand was actually ash.

Shaking off my first wave of fear I kicked my feet revealing more ash where I stood. I looked around frantically noticing that the once picturesque beach of our memories was nothing but dust, I grimaced. This was no dream but a nightmare and it was tainted by that thing that looked like my brother. I frowned trying to ignore the pain I was feeling knowing this thing had burned everything that was precious, every detail was scorched, warped, twisted, like this was the house of our memories and we stood in the ruins after a fire. The shadows stood still menacingly, long gone were the echoes of laughter and playfulness. No longer could I imagine myself being back at the white beach when all I saw was black.

I pulled Leo up back on his feet and shook him till he snapped out of whatever frightened spell he was under. Focus. Pointing at our feet I made him look at the dust and dirt that was covering the ground. His hands were black and I ached seeing the redness in his eyes. Leo had always been strong and I admired him dearly. Closing his hands in mine I searched for the first memory I had with him. It wasn't here, but it existed in my head and I could feel it. I was in his arms, he had taken one look in my eyes and we bonded instantly. An unshakable bond that could only prevail between siblings and that bond was our lifeline here. He seemed to understand what I had just discovered. The memory of the lake we had all spent countless hours and days together was forever burned in the back of our heads grounding us and this is where Luca had gone. And this was where we would find him.