Part 49

Beatrice

Breathe. And I blew the millionth balloon to be put up with the rest of the decorations. My head felt dizzy and I decided it was time to take a break. The heat had finally died but not until Royce had managed to fix the air conditioning. Isn't that just peachy. I tied the balloon I was holding by the mouth to a large arch with a ribbon and glanced over at my accomplishment. Pastel green, lilac, white, pink, blue and yellow balloons and ribbons entwined into a grandiose arch framing the door.

Dragging my eyes over the entire ground floor I saw all the other pastel decorations dotting splashes of colour to the otherwise snow white room. Cecilia had changed all the gold trimmings and knick knacks of her house and replaced them with rose gold items. Because that was the style of the season. Whatever that means. I watched as the rest of my family gushed over decorations, flowers, gift baskets, ribbons, flags, banners and a dozen other party favours for the pup to come.

"It's perfect!" I heard her sing gliding into the room. Given the size of her I thought it impossible but here she was, looking more beautiful than ever in her powder rose coloured floor length gown that showed off her baby bump impeccably. Her blond hair was pinned up in lovely ringlets and a fresh flower garland was placed on her head. If I didn't know she was my sister, I'd say she looked like a goddess. Royce bendt down to kiss her shoulder and they smiled looking up at each other as they both held their hands over her bump. This is too much cuteness. I might throw up.

A large tent had taken over the entire backyard. Leo and Luca were in charge of hoisting up the small chandeliers and fairy lights while their mates helped our mother bring all the food to the serving table. They had wait staff and chefs working in the kitchen doing their finishing touches whereas my father was in an animated conversation about port wine being served only after the appetisers. The place looked stunning and I got flashbacks to her ceremony a year ago. This was like that but on a much smaller scale, thank heavens. My body could not deal with another week of napkin folding and bow tying.

I groaned as I realised my place of refuge, which was the guest house, was now occupied with all the baby presents from the family members and an empty table for the guests to put on theirs when they arrived. Hiding myself in a bathroom I sat on the sink patting myself with a cold towel. I felt a lump forming in my throat and I could not shake the burning feeling on my neck. This was torture. The cloth caressed over my scar and I shivered making me think of Auryn.

A knock on the door had me snap out of my thoughts. Get a fucking grip! Snap out of it! Hopping down I stole a glance of myself in the mirror. My catty eyeliner was paired with some lilac eyeshadow and my hair was straight, like a midnight waterfall down to my ass. I was wearing off the shoulder crop shirt with puff sleeves and a long skirt with a leg slit. All in my signature colour black and ballet shoes to complete the look. I looked gorgeous even though on the inside I felt like shit. Finally emerging from my fortress of solitude I stood in the hall gazing into the void once more.

Hearing the door ring I shouted back into the house to no one in particular that I would answer the door. Cracking the door ajar I was shoved aside by a very large woman who threw a gift bag of some sort in my face before flying past me before I even had the door open fully. A bearded man followed her footsteps giving me an apologetic look. Rolling my eyes I slammed the door shut and marched to the guest house to place the bag where it belongs, not before passing the woman who was practically hysterical in front of Cece. As the bearded man stood next to Royce I realised that they were in fact his parents, that I had last seen attending the ceremony last year. Feeling silly, I pushed back the rest of the images that flashed before my eyes from that night. Damn it, Bea. What the hell is with me today?

Hours later the party was at full swing. Light music played in the background, people were mingling amongst themselves, toasts were raised and speeches were held in the honour of the wolf cub. My head was spinning due to the oohs and aahs that rang in a choir every time something baby related was mentioned, which was often. Cece was being pampered like she was a saint which made me chuckle because I think she enjoyed every second of it. I found my mother in tears at one point weeping over the tiniest onesie that was pulled out of the gift boxes.

I was in the kitchen with an empty tray of frosted cupcakes when Cecilia floated in looking for me. "There you are. I have been searching for you everywhere."

"Not that I have anywhere else to go." I sighed somewhat sarcastically.

"Well that is about to change." My head dropped to the side, brows crunched giving her a curious look. She was sporting the widest smile like she had just received a basket of puppies. Grabbing my hand she began to drag me through the house. I noticed Luca nod his head and toast in my direction. As we reached the foye, Leo was there to open the door and Cece pulled me over the threshold.

"What's going on?" I asked as Leo had the same devious grin as our sister and that only confused me more. They were up to something and I was just there for the ride. My stomach was doing somersaults and my knees almost gave out right under me when I saw who was waiting for me at the end of the driveway. His hair was magically combed back with a few loose strands that were hanging over his face. He was wearing a tight button up shirt, sleeves rolled up showing his toned forearms as he held his hands in his dress pant pockets. To say the man looked edible was an understatement. He looked breathtaking as my eyes sucked in every detail of his flawless figure. "Auryn? What are you doing here?"

"Hey beautiful." I think my heart stopped when our eyes locked and I realised he had been scanning me too. His hooded eyes looked hungry, like he was devouring me slowly savouring every bit of me. My heart was ringing in my ears and I almost moaned when his scent took over my senses. I was having whiplash and I swear I heard a growl escape his lips when Cece parked me in front of him. "I was waiting for you. I want to take you somewhere."

"I don't understand. What is this?" Auryn looked at me with those golden brown eyes and just smiled.

"Bea, sweety, listen. It's time you stop being so damn stubborn and talk it out." Cece turned my stunned body to her face. She placed one hand on her round hip and waved the other in my face with one finger up. She looked so much like our mother at that very moment. My eyes grew wider when she waved it at Auryn too who ended up chuckling and putting his hands up in defeat. "Both of you."

"I can't leave. You need me here." I was starting to panic slightly and tried to find an excuse to not be left alone with Auryn. No good could come of it. Feeling lightheaded I reminded myself to breathe.

"We got it covered." Luca stood in the door frame with Leo and they both winked at me while wiggling their brows. Traitors.

"But the baby?"

"Won't be popping out anytime soon. Now go! And don't come back till you have talked. Properly. Understood?" I was being pushed closer to Auryn and I felt the ground spin. Frozen in place I saw Auryn nod as my siblings headed back to the house leaving me standing there alone with him. This was it. Sink or swim. Breathe. And jump! Knowing I could either run or face my fears I decided to take Auryn's hand as he opened his car door and I sat next to him ready to face the music.