How to write a blurb

Your descriptions are important since they create a first impression on a reader and can either attract someone or push them away.

Most of the time, less is more when it comes to descriptions. Adding too much to your description can give away the suspense element of your story. If a reader already knows what's going to happen in the story, the chances of them reading it are much lower. Therefore, it's important to include just enough information to draw in your reading without giving away too much.

You have the freedom to decide what your synopsis will be like. We all know that it must follow the excitement factor, but who says that excitement comes in one form? Your synopsis can be a whole page and it still can make me want to read, and the same when it's also short. Sometimes, short is better than long and vice versa. However, it can be short and meaningless, or long and boring. For now, let's say that mid-length is the best.

Here is what I personally follow to write my blurbs:

- Check the blurbs of successful books. They give you an idea of what the audience on Wattpad wants and what they choose.

- Identify your main characters. The description must expose at least one main character, the one that the story revolves around. Talking about supportive characters is discouraged.

- Tease/hook your potential readers with the climax—which is the most important part of your storyline. Readers will question how the story will reach this stage and what will happen next from the synopsis.

- End with a cliffhanger!

- Be honest in your summary. Don't write something irrelevant to your actual storyline :)

Sometimes it helps to start with a quote from your book. You should try to find a quote that creates a form of curiosity in a reader - something that's a bit vague but also intriguing.

Overall, just try to create a description that lures in readers and fits the story well. Remember that your description is often the first impression a reader has of both your story and your professionalism, so try to make it a good impression.

I hope this helps with your descriptions! Please vote, comment and tag your friends to spread the word. Let me know if you have questions and good luck!