back to the old house

The Smiths

in the tower of a castle long taken by nature, a woman stood.

selene pearce, an ancient, powerful vampire.

her gift was a complex one. something many have tried to obtain.

along with her gift she possessed many other abilities. she was a sorceress of sorts, having the ability to perform spells. like many others, her gift adapted from her human life, in which she'd practiced a form of witchcraft passed throughout her family.

shapeshifting was one of her most powerful skills, giving her the ability to change any of her human features.

this made it easy for her to blend with humans, if she ever chose to.

she could also take the form of animals, a very useful skill.

the form of witchcraft she practiced, like most, relied heavily on her connection with nature. so she remained isolated in her castle, away from humans.

she closed her eyes as a dull ache formed in her neck.

using insight, one of her more useful spells, she checked in on her few close friends.

creatures from across the world.

carlisle cullen and his family were in danger.

she tutted, disappointed in edward. she knew he was a fool but falling in love with a human. she was nothing predestined by the gods, so why did he endanger himself and his family.

she made her way down the stairs, waving her hand through the air, moving her limited belongings into a small bag she had enchanted.

the woman came to a stop when a whine sounded from behind her. she looked down at the hell hound, which took the form of a small puppy, "hello darling. what can i help you with?"

the creature held his head high, pulling her attention to the letter box around his neck.

she pulled out the slip of paper.

dearest selene,

it appears my son has caused a bit of trouble for my family. we are having a problem with an army of newborns coming our way. if this letter so happens to reach you in time, we would all appreciate if you would provide your assistance, as the volturi have not yet interfered. we are located in forks, washington as of now. if you do not choose to endanger yourself, then i shall wish you only the best.

with love,
carlisle cullen

"what a good boy. you've done right for your first message!" the witch cheered, pulling a cookie from the plate on the counter.

she sent the happy creature on its way, laughing as it tripped down the hill.

she packed the rest of her things. changing her attire to something more modern, choosing a large striped sweater and some older, loose blue jeans.

she pulled on a pair of striped socks and then her boots.

"loki!" she called. the black cat jumped from a shelf, a book falling behind it. spells was written messily in french on the cover of the tattered book. she gasped, "thank you my dear! what would i do without you?"

the animal mewed proudly, as if he knew what he'd done.

"you, my dear kitten, will be here protecting the castle. i just cannot endanger you by bringing you along."

she packed the book away, picking up the small bag. she took one last look around. this castle had been her home for almost a century.

although she would miss it, her heart ached for something else. something she knew she would never find, cooped up in her tower, raising plants. she needed something new.

595 words