sea, swallow me

Cocteau Twins, Harold Budd

the grey waves crashed over the pebbles, creating a melody so familiar. the monochrome beach along with the sounds of nature surrounding, reminded selene of when she was human.

she could not remember specifics, not people or places. only feelings and sounds.

her connection to the earth allowed her to remember more than most vampires of her age do. the woman closed her eyes.

she felt bad for trespassing upon the land, but the beach was a hotspot for her natural power. it was held on a pedestal as her favorite place when she was human, many of her witching materials being foraged from beaches.

the woman does not remember where specifically she grew up. the memories of her childhood and family had faded with time.

the beach gave her a sense of comfort and this was the closest beach. so, she masked her scent, leaving a human scent. she just hoped the wolves were all asleep.

while she sat on the coat she'd pulled from her bag, she thought of the longing she felt in the clearing. the pull she knew was caused by one of the wolves.

huffing a sigh, selene flopped back onto the ground, her long hair blowing over her face with the breeze.

"hey! are you okay miss?" a young voice called.

she sighed, sensing he was one of the wolves back at the clearing. "i'm alright young wolf." the boy gasped, "oh my gosh! you're the cool lady who was with the cullens!"

she chuckled slightly at his words, "yes, and you are one of the wolves. i apologize for trespassing, truly. i only wished to see the ocean. i will go now."

as selene moved to leave the ball of sunshine grabbed her wrist, leading her to sit down, "i think you're nice. you can stay for a while. i'm seth!" he flashed a bright smile and instantly selene was comfortable in his presence.

"i am selene." she introduced quietly, a soft smile.

he sat there looking as if he had questions. she pulled her legs so she sat criss cross, "you may ask anything seth. i can tell you want to."

the young wolf nodded, "are you a vampire? you don't look like one but you beat jasper. you don't smell like one either." she set a hand on his shoulder, "slow down, soleil."

"i am a vampire yes. my gift is something i call witchcraft. my most powerful ability is a shapeshifting of sorts. that is why i do not share the features of my vampire friends." selene answered.

she let her eyes return to their orangey state, as the woman had survived of an even diet of humans and animals.

although it was dark, seth could see the color, making him tilt his head, "they're orange?"

"yes indeed. humans would try and steal the land from the plants and animals. i only did what i had to, to protect them. otherwise i lived off animals." she looked down.

seth nodded softly pulling her into a hug, "i get it. we kill vampires, with lives, when they step on our land. it's not much different."

she reveled in his warmth, "you are so wise, at your age how did that come to be?"

he smiled, sadly this time, "turning into a giant wolf at  fourteen helped a little." she grabbed his hand, "the strongest people i have known have come to power at an early age. i sense great power within you and your pack."

"thank you selene."

they sat for a while longer before a voice came from far away, "seth! where the hell are you?"

"i'm gonna erase my presence. refrain from sharing this with your friends. goodbye soleil" selene whispered, patting seth's shoulder. she then whispered her teleportation spell.

—•—

the woman ended up wandering the woods. when she saw the crowded cullen household she decided to stay away.

selene loved the warmth but she knew she could not stay.

it was always disappointing how everything in her life had become so fleeting. she had come to a road, walking along it, her scent still masked.

she frowned when she sensed edward and bella, the humans breathing slowed. edward was watching her sleep.

what a freak

jasper finally caught up with her, remaining silent but gently grabbing her hand.

a few hours pass and the redhead is filled with serenity as the first few raindrops fall. rain was freeing and peaceful.

with this rain, however, a battle would ensue.

selene knew she was ready to fight, but as the army came closer, a feeling of longing grew in her heart. she squeezed jaspers hand, pulling him into a hug.

there was no telling if she was ready to face the cause of this pull.

776 words