vi.

Hester was used to running the morning after. Find all your clothes, make up an excuse and go. If necessary, prepare to exchange pleasantries about having to meet again for coffee sometime. Everything just to avoid any feelings that might threaten her.

The thought was nowhere on her mind now. Even if she wanted to do so, there was no running from her feelings. And even less reasons to do so. She jolted awake with the first sunrays touching her face. The events of the day before came rushing to her, sending waves of heat into her cheeks. Not in a bad way though. Because she'd do it all again, no regrets. She could feel Anadil pressed against her, breathing synchronized with her own, hand brushing against her hand. And yes, she was taking a huge portion of the sheets, leaving Hester with the bare minimum to not freeze to death. Which she found surprisingly cute though, so she did nothing to fight back.

Everything that happened before felt like a fever dream of a day, taking in all the "almost dying" part, "love confessions while almost dying" part and "having amazing sex after almost dying". She wasn't complaining. But things seemed to go back to normal, sun shining through the tiny boat windows, the skies clear and sea calm. The ship didn't feel like it was moving, making her wonder if this was some sort of a rewarding afterlife built specifically for her, but then Anadil moved, taking even more of the blankets and she was hit with the bone-chilling cold. Definitely not a good version of afterlife.

She reached for the phone, seeing at least a hundred messages and missed calls from Dot. Apparently the storm has been a big thing, followed worldwide, as many of the passengers were minor celebrities and mini-influencers. "We're alive. Nothing that bad happened, chill. No big deal," she texted back, as if that was enough of an explanation.

Dot spawned a text message at a rapid speed. "Nothing bad happened?! You and Ani both texted me about how much you love me and tried to call me?! It sounds like you were at least in the apocalypse." Okay, that might have been concerning. With both of their inability to express love properly without alcohol or almost dying and the disdain for calling they both shared, it might have seemed like the world was ending. And to be fair, it felt like it was.

An offer for a videochat rang. Hester immediately turned it down, the sound echoing loudly in the room, loud enough to wake Anadil if left for too long.

"Call me," wrote Dot.

"Can't, Ani's sleeping."

"Go to the other room?"

"We're talking now, what do you need to see me for?"

"To see if you're alive and not an FBI agent trying to cover a controversy? Just call me."

"The room is cold and I don't know where my clothes are." She was being awfully honest, realizing what she said just as she sent the message.

"Are you in the arctic? God, just go somewhere," came the response, followed by a wide array of annoyed emojis. And then: "Wait. Why are you not wearing clothes. What."

Hester didn't know what to respond, so she left her on read. Considered throwing the phone across the room. That would wake Ani up anyways, so she dismissed the thought.

"Did you sleep together after almost pulling a Titanic?" It seemed significantly dumber when you put it that way. Yeah. Ignore that message too. Dot knew they were alive so that was enough.

Except she apparently didn't think so. "Text me back or I'll call again."

With a sigh, Hester wrote: "Maybe."

A keyboard smash from Dot. Followed by a wide array of crying emojis. "Are you two finally dating?"

Which was definitely a thing they forgot to talk about. They were busy, definitely. Well, with the fact they almost died and the following adrenaline rush, it wasn't that surprising that they didn't yet. And Hester couldn't help but worry whether it could last for real, whether they finally made a step forward or they were just too afraid and better off as friends.